Win XP computer keeps shutting off on own

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Manhattkat

I'll be lucky if I can get this posted before it happens again. My machine just shuts off regularly after a few minutes of being on. Every startup it goes through scan disk, sets up fine afterward, but then shuts off whether I'm working, it's on lock, etc... Where do I start?

It won't stay on long enough to run malwarebytes, spybot, etc.

Help! Thanks!!!

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
It's not exactly cut and dried that this problem is malware caused....let's move you out of this forum, since only the trained helpers can reply to you here.... I will move this to the Operating System>XP forum.

Once it is certain or you need help with malware we can easily move it back.

Manhattkat

It's not exactly cut and dried that this problem is malware caused....let's move you out of this forum, since only the trained helpers can reply to you here.... I will move this to the Operating System>XP forum.

Once it is certain or you need help with malware we can easily move it back.
Err, sorry - really, I'm expecting this to shut down any second so didn't have the luxury of reviewing all forum titles :eek: Thanks!

Manhattkat

Seems like the problem is heat related. Worked with the laptop off a flat surface and it's cooler, hasn't shut down since. ?

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
The laptop might benefit from some air blown into the fan vent. (You would do this only when the computer is all shut down and unplugged, etc) Try to use a paper clip or something thin to hold the fan blades still. If you use a can of air, make sure you let the machine sit to dry out any moisture that may have been in the canned air, it does contain some. I've seen clouds of dust come out of the vents....hold away from eyes and face.

My favorite air source is a small household compressor with pressure set very low. Can of air works just as well.

Hi Byteman!

Grateful if you could you please let me know what type/brand and other details
of the 'small household compressor' you are using?
Thanks!

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
All Power America 1/3 HP 3 Gallon Air Compressor - APC4008

Came from Walmart, around $95.00

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online