1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP Data Recovery Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tyrone, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyrone

tyrone Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have recently changed motherboards and win xp will not load at all.

Whenever I switch my pc on, it powers up passes the POST and BIOS then a blue screen flashes up for about a second then the computer reboots. After the reboot the "Windows was not shut down properly, do you want to load in safe mode" screen appears, but after trying every mode the same cycle happens again and again. I tried to installing windows on my 2nd HD which worked but the main problem i'm having is recovering my files from my 1st HD. Whenever I try to open my user profile folder (I had other user accounts set up with passwords) from my 1st HD in the documents and settings folder I get access denied. The folder that my files are in show that it is empty and displays a size of 0k. If these files had been deleted I know for sure that my harddisk space would have increased but it has stayed the same. Is there anyway of getting into this folder (in 'Documents & Settings) and retrieving my data ?

Thanks for any help given.
    Tyrone

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!