1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP Display Calibration Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LesPaul7, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LesPaul7

LesPaul7 Thread Starter

Some screens in certain apps do not display properly in the following ways:

A) The window I'm looking at extends below the bottom edge of the monitor so not all controls are visible. Even when I drag the window to the upper limit, a part of the window is still unseen, and in some cases there's functions I can't get to.

B) Sometimes text shown in fields within a window is too big for its field -- vertically and/or horizontally. Text that is truncated to the right cannot be scrolled through to see the hidden text. The effect is similar to what you see in a browser window when you increase the font size beyond what the page was designed for -- but of course these aren't browser windows so those controls don't work.

These problems do not occur within the Windows universe. So Outlook Express displays properly, Windows Explorer is fine, everything under Control Panel displays fine. Some programs where this happens are: Avast Anti-Virus; the print control window for my Lexmark Z45; my Second Copy back-up program. My Corel WordPerfect and Quattro Pro spreadsheet that came installed with the machine are both fine.

I have an LG Flatron L1715S monitor and an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics controller that came stock in my Dell Dimension 2350. The monitor did not come with the Dell, but when I first got it, and for several years thereafter, everything displayed fine. I forget when I first noticed this, but I first thought it was intermittent, and now realize it's certain programs.

In addition,

C) On my desktop, when I drag an icon to a new location, I release it and it snaps down and to the right about half an icon size. This seems like a mouse calibration issue to me but again, I've never heard of it and I have no idea. This also did not happen when I first got the new monitor. I don't know if this started at the same time as the two issues above.

I have never heard of these things before and I would LOVE to get them solved!

THANK YOU!

LesPaul7

2. LesPaul7

LesPaul7 Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice