1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP displays wrong disk space. 1.3GB missing on Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computer_pet, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a problem with my computer's hard drive. I have recently formatted, re-installed windows 98 (In some thread here), then re-partitioned into two drives and installed XP. I noticed that IO was missing 250mb on drive c:. I than repartitioned into one drive, and installed XP Home. That is my current setup.

Drive c:, is 3GB and when going into C:'s properties it says it has 196mb free. However When I select all files in C:, and view properties it displays that all files total to only 1.73GB. So why does c:'s properties display the wrong disk space.

Windows is reminding me that I have under 200mb on the windows drive (c:). I have hidden files shown.

Could someone please help me fix this problem, thanks.

Attached Files:

• disk.JPG
      disk.JPG
      File size:
      67.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Sponsor

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What size is your swapfile, and have you factored that in?

Also remember the difference between 1 GB and 1,000,000 kB.
    1 kB = 1,024 Bytes.
    1 MB = 1,048,576 Bytes
    etc

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have hidden files shown, however no mention of protected os files. While a 3 gig drive does meet the min requirements for installing xp, I doubt that you will be able to install any other apps. When I setup a system for someone with xp, I make a 7 gig partition just for the os; no apps or anything else.

5. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

Winodws only needs 1.5GB, and I will not be using many applications.

I have 320MB of RAM so why would I have a swapfile?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need a page file because many apps check for one. If it is not found, they will not run. Unless you changed the size of the page file you will have a 480 meg page file. It defaults to 1.5 times installed ram. This box I am typing on has 1024 of ram; when I bring up the task manager it is still using some page file resources.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/232658