1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Xp + Dsl

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shelvia, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelvia

shelvia Thread Starter

hI...
    please help me out.. :confused: I'm trying to network 2 PC which is both using Win XP Home Ed, using network cross cable, however, while icq, msn and yahoo! messenger as well as outlook express work on client computer, it won't browse using the internet explorer. It will only open my ISP's website, www.pacific.net.au. nothing is wrong in host computer (able to browse and everything). please help me out. i've tried everything and i'm desperate to find some help. :) thanks a lot in advance :D

2. kbotha

kbotha

Can you do a nslookup to any other website. ?
    etc. In command prompt type
    nslookup <hotmail.com>

Does it return with the IP Address of the site

3. shelvia

shelvia Thread Starter

what should i do... the nslookup did reply with addresses but still i can't browse using the iexplorer...:confused:

4. kbotha

kbotha

I had this before but cant remeber how I got rid of it. It is a caching issue since by doing the nslookup you DNS resolution worksfine. Try manual going and delete your temporary Internet files from Explorer. You will propably find that some of them are set to read only....Give it ago and let me know

5. shelvia

shelvia Thread Starter

??? i don't get what you mean by "Try manual going and delete your temporary Internet files from Explorer. You will propably find that some of them are set to read only...."
    i'll delete the temp internet files... but i don't get what u mean by manual going.. hehehe thanks :) r u online? will u be able to chat through yahoo! msg or msn to help me out? sorry bout this. thanks a lot

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try opening a command prompt and doing a couple of clearing operations.

arp -d *

This clears the ARP cache.

ipconfig /flushdns

This clears the DNS cache.

7. shelvia

shelvia Thread Starter

thanks for helping.. :) i've tried that but that doesn't work as well :(((

8. kbotha

kbotha

What i mean by manualy is, going itno explorer and delete the from your profile. The other way of doing it is in your internet Options to clear temporary files, however I gfound in the past that that doesn't work at all times.What I meant by read only is, if a file is read only then you cant execute anything from it. So lets say your home page is set to read only, you wont beable to go from it any where else.- Enough of that now...
    What is the machine IP setting and then as the machine your connecting through.
    In command prompt , do a tracert to www.turners.co.nz and send me the reply.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice