Win XP F8 boot options not working & disk checking being cancelled.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ikki

A couple of things are driving me insane.
a) When I press F8 regardless of my choice the system will allow me to boot only in normal mode.
I.E. If I choose "Safe mode with command prompt" and hit enter, the next screen shows first line "Please select the operating system to start" second line "Windows XP professional" highlighted, third line "Use the up and down key to... Press enter to choose" and at the bottom "For troubleshooting and advanced startup options press F8" and the last line, in highlighted blue "Safe mode with command prompt". I then press enter and after scrolling thru all the lines "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32...." the system reboots to the F8 boot options.
Only "boot in normal mode" gets me out of the loop.
I had suggestion that the cause would be a faulty or "too fancy" keyboard, but I tried with others with no result.

b) When I try a "scandisk" at reboot I get "A disk check has been scheduled.
Disk checking has been cancelled.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ikki said:
A couple of things are driving me insane.
a) When I press F8 regardless of my choice the system will allow me to boot only in normal mode.

b) When I try a "scandisk" at reboot I get "A disk check has been scheduled.
Disk checking has been cancelled.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'd run msconfig and review your boot settings
see A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

I'd also remove any chkdsk that were previously scheduled
See CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online