1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP freezing on Network Connection Enable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeDuc, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeDuc

LeDuc Thread Starter

Specs: WIN XP Pro vers 2002 SP3
    Motherboard: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ at 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM

I'm at a hotel with wireless DSL service, which I connect to via a Belkin USB wireless NIC, and also on a LAN with family members. My PC is connected to the LAN via cable from my NIC (Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #5) to a Linksys wireless-G router.

This setup has been working fine, though I can't be on Internet and LAN at the same time. But today, for no apparent reason (I haven't made any changes), the system has been freezing entirely (i.e. no mouse, no Ctrl-Alt-Del response) every time at the point when it actually enables my LAN connection (via the Realtek NIC & cable).

I'm pretty sure it's at the point when it is enabled, because both ways I did this (via a shortcut to the network connection and via Manage Devices) the system froze right at the point it usually says it is "Enabled", but before actually giving me that message.

Let me know if you need more specifics to solve this. TIA for any help you can give!

LeDuc

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice