1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN XP/ GEFORCE 2 Ultra

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by motocross95, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. motocross95

motocross95 Thread Starter

Well it seems my video will not work properly with windows XP. I have a GeForce 2 Ultra. I downloaded the 21.83 drivers for XP and still no luck. I tried playing a video just a few minutes ago and it made my computer restart, when it loaded it said my video card was responsible. Counterstrike will not work also. I can get into the menus and what not but when I go to join a game or start a game it goes blank and freezes. Can someone please help me. thank you.

2. brianF

brianF

3. motocross95

I told a friend about what you said, and he thinks that it could be the video card is sharing the same IRQ as the sound card. Because one time while playing a video it caused me problems and I think restarted itself. Can someone tell me how to change the IRQ it uses please? thank you, or if you think it's something else please tell.

4. deuce

deuce

Is the video card AGP or PCI? If it is PCI I think the easiest way is to put it in a different PCI slot and let the computer pick a new one.

5. motocross95

It is an AGP video card

6. brianF

brianF

Well this is just a guess as I am not running xp, but have you tried moving the sound card to a different pci slot, that should force an irq change, with a big maybe

7. brianF

brianF

8. deuce

deuce

Do you happen to have a PCI vid card laying around? (I am assuming you don't have onboard video if you have AGP) If that last article doesn't work you can try booting with a PCI vid card, the booting with the AGP vid card back in. Not sure if that works but it's just a suggestion if you still need help.

9. motocross95

I do have a PCI video card, but it's back at the house and I am at college. When I get home I will try it. Right now I am trying reinstalling Counterstrike. A knowledgable individual at college seems to think that will help. So if I can't seem to get it to work by the time I go home this coming weekend I will try it with my old Voodoo Banshee 16mb. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice everyone.

10. brianF

brianF

Try this

go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter, left hand frame, choose hardware environment, expand it, choose irq's. Your irq usage list should show up in the right hand frame. Go to edit menu, choose select all, back to edit menu, choose copy, then paste the list back here. Curious to see what irq's are being used.

Yes msinfo32 does work in xp, tried it on my son's rig before posting.

11. motocross95

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 10 NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra OK
    IRQ 11 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) OK
    IRQ 11 HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller OK
    IRQ 12 YAMAHA Native DS1 WDM Driver OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

12. brianF

brianF

Well it's not the agp irq, that looks fine, only thing I would question is irq 11 with the ata controller and the nic.

Have you tried uninstalling the card with the add remove hardware option in control panel, rebooting, and reinstalling it.

You probably have directx diagnostic somewhere also, try running dxdiag from the run box, if it runs, what does it show under display as far as directdraw accel direct 3d accel agp texture acceleration

13. motocross95

Well I was just downloading the 78mb patch for Counterstrike to bring it up to Version 1.3. Well it was at like 93% when I ran DXdiag and my comp restarted on the DirectDraw Test. So I restarted my download and disabled DirectDraw, and maybe that will help. Do you think it's purely a DirectX problem and not my video card? When I run DXdiag, it says "DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)" In case you wanted to know what version I was running.

14. brianF

brianF

I would try reinstalling directx, all of those tests should run without a problem. Don't be using anything else when you run the test.

15. motocross95

can I really reinstall DirectX? because I looked for DirectX and it said DX 8.1 comes with XP.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice