1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP GONE?????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kamakazze15, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kamakazze15

kamakazze15 Thread Starter

Hey...I have an Systemax desktop, then has a problem and just stopped turing on. We tried no Power supply but wasnt it. I tried the Hard drive in my computer, and it worked...But when i turn on the computer it says "Searching for boot record from SCSI....Not Found....insert boot disket in A". XP was working fun until teh computer stopped turning on.....What happened? is teh OS erased or what? is there anyway of getting it back?

2. scmazter

scmazter

Hmmm, try booting up your system with the win xp cd, mabye it is bootable? ANd if that works, is win xp still on the computer?

3. kamakazze15

kamakazze15 Thread Starter

i would try that but the computer originally didnt come with the CD

4. unixguy

unixguy

OK, let’s dissect your observations so far…

Hey...I have an Systemax desktop, then has a problem and just stopped turing on. We tried no Power supply but wasnt it...
    [This sounds like the computer won’t even power up…but later it sounds like it will power up so it is not clear how you eliminated the power supply issue]

...I tried the Hard drive in my computer, and it worked...
    [Does this mean you removed the hard drive from the Systemax computer and installed it into another computer? If so, did you make it the master or the slave? Could you see the files and folders on the hard drive?]

...But when i turn on the computer it says "Searching for boot record from SCSI....Not Found....insert boot disket in A"...
    [Is “the computer” the 2nd computer into which you installed the drive or is it the original Systemax computer? Is the hard drive a SCSI drive?
    Do the following:
    Reinstall the drive in the Systemax computer. When you turn on the computer, press the DEL key (or F2 or whatever key breaks into the CMOS settings). Go to Regular CMOS (or whatever shows the time/date/peripherals) and see if a hard drive is even listed there. If it is, see if it looks like it is the correct size. If the disk is not shown, or shows the wrong size, go to AUTO DETECT (or press ENTER when the hard drive is highlighted, depending on your BIOS) and see if it will detect the drive. Also, go into the BIOS SETTINGS section (or similar wording) and check the boot sequence. See if the first device is SCSI. If so, change it to the HD0 or Harddrive so that is the first device that is used for booting. Then save the BIOS and reboot and see if the drive is detected.]

...XP was working fun until teh computer stopped turning on....
    [Computers are like women in this regard.]

...What happened? is teh OS erased or what? is there anyway of getting it back?...
    [Still too early to tell. We’ll need to wait for the results of your tests using the above steps. However, without the CD, if the disk does not boot after the CMOS is set properly, you are hosed. You will need to obtain one from Systemax or else spring for a new copy of XP to reload. That assumes that your assessment is correct that the hard drive is still ok. If it is ok, it is hard to figure out how XP could totally disappear. You should have some sort of message regarding the hard drive if the system can see it at all.]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice