Win. XP, ICS and LAN...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Brian_II

I may be overlooking something, but on my prior load of Win. ME, I had a static IP address (192.168.99.25), and had my wife set to a dynamic one.

I was the host machine, and had the INet connection through my system. She got to the net through me. And this all ran perfectly well.

I just got an XP system, and tried the same hookup. Now, it does work...but the Network setup wizard insists on my machine having 192.168.0.1 as a static IP for the LAN adapter.

I tried switching to 192.168.99.25...and I'm working, but my wife's system loses INet access through ICS, even if she reboots.

I usually hook into a LAN with my friends every week, and they all have 192.168.99.xxx addresses, and I would hate to have to switch my static IP everytime I hooked up with them.

Now, if I run the Home Networking Wizard, everything works again, both systems can access the net...but I'm back to 192.168.0.1 again!

What am I missing here? I know if I could have that setup in ME, I'm sure I can have it in XP... :)
-Brian_II

Del

It's changing your IP to be the gateway to the internet. The gateway usually will be the IP x.x.x.001. This is how your other machine finds the gateway. If you look on the other machine under gateway, you may find it is looking for IP x.x.x.001 to get to the internet.
Depending on how your ISP's works, you'll probably find the other NIC in your computer is set for DHCP.
Del

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts