1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dog_noy, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dog_noy

dog_noy Thread Starter

I'm trying to install window Xp on my second harddrive (I have two harddrive with four partition c,d,e,f) I have win98se on drive C and was thinking of installing win XP on drive D (different harddrive) The thing is when I do the win XP compatibility check and got some modem and scanner that won't work on win XP issue, I downloaded the latest driver but how do I install it? I mean I have win98se on one drive and it has a win98 driver.what do I do in such a event. (also all the other software I have on my computer will win XP show them when I install win XP or do I have to reinstall them again):confused:

2. brianF

brianF

Installing to the second hard drive is the same as doing a new install basically. You will have winxp only. All other software and drivers will have to be installed into the winxp partition.

One thing about dual booting. Don't do anything to the c drive. The bootloader files are written there. You can reinstall win98 or do anything that will remove the bootloader files from the c root drive.

3. dog_noy

dog_noy Thread Starter

I almost forgot,what happens if the folder "My Documents" is on the same partition as the one I'm going to install XP will that create a problem? I mean if I boot into win98 will I still be able to use my documents folder or will I have to boot into XP to use it.:rolleyes:

4. brianF

brianF

You can't install to the same partition
    If you have win98 stuff on the partition your going to install to it would be erased or writtin over.

Move what ever is on the d partition so it's clean when you do the install

You will end up with a my documents for win98 on c and a my documents for winxp on d

The two os's will be completely seperate

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice