1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win XP is haunted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Martial33, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    Hi,

I know ghosts usually haunt old stone castles in England not nearly new computers but I have some weird stuff going on here...

* I can be on one browser window and it flicks back to the last one

* I can be at the bottom of a page on Word and it goes back to the begining.

* outlook loads slowly

* machine locks up.

* The cursor can be one secod under conrtol the next second it zings somewhere else - or sometimes its just freezes.

this is a pretty new (maybe one year old) machine its a P4 with 32mb ram lots of HD space which isent used.

I have antivirus on it and took it to a tech shop. They ran scans on it and everythign seemed to be working fine (but they still charged me :~(

Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas?

Anyone want to BUY a nearly new used computer? its only used on Sundays for church purposes and it comes with the 30/30 gaurantee (30 feet or 30 seconds - whichever comes first - some restricitions apply:~)

Dont people pay EXTRA for haunted houses?

2. mobo

mobo

Have you done any virus scans ? Please do one here .

Have you checked for spyware? Please download Spybot search and destroy , update it, do a scan and fix what it finds in red.
    If the problem persists then download Hijackthis , unzip it and do a scan as well as save the log then post that log here.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"its a P4 with 32mb ram"

surely you jest?
    What operating system are you running I wonder ?

It would have to be Windows 95, to be able to run reasonably with only 32 MB of RAM, and I think a P4 may be a bit high in clock speed for W95 stability.

Perhaps its not 32 MB and W95? Please advise so we could help further.

4. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    no its XP

5. 2cents

2cents

XP requires min. 64 MB, and even that is not nearly enough to run well. Did somebody remove some of your RAM after XP was installed?

6. mobo

mobo

Please click on the start button and then right click on "my computer " and select properties and what is the last line in the general tab for ram.

7. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    sorry, I stand corrected... actually Im sitting but that's besides the point..

its 256 MB ram
    1.6ghz Intel P4

so what do you think the probelm is doc?

8. mobo

mobo

First try the recommendations in the second post of the thread please.

9. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    Dear Motherboard,

In fact, I had Spybot onteh machien for some time. When I took it to my local teckie, he removed Spybot and replaced it with "Adaware" which he claims to be superior.

I'm using this antivirus www.free-av.com currently but the techie also ran scans on the machine also to no avail.

The link you provided (http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt) was down Sat Sept 27 / 03 1445 EST.

also it seems to "beep" just before it does anything out of the ordinary - not through the speakers, from something internal.

best,

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Martial33...

These can sometimes be caused by a defective mouse, have you tried a different one ?

11. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    negative, mouse is fine but thanks for the thought.

- now Outlook wont even open. Shut it down turned it on many times, (from power source not just restart) and Outlook still wont open.

12. mobo

mobo

Did all your current problems start recently ? You may be able to save face by system restoe..

13. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    did all of my problems start recently? well, I would have to think about that, "It all started when I was 10...." :)

no actually, it started when I started to have difficultly with Sympatico "High speed". You want the long story? OK here goes..

About a month ago I started to have some weird things happen. (as mentioned above) I pointed the finger at Sympatico. I was offline for a couple of weeks getting "Error 680 - not able to establish a connection" They said "no, its your drivers" I called Microsoft because its their software, they said, "No, you bought the computer with our software bundled - go back to your retailer" which I did. They found nothing wrong with it. (but still charged me) It worked fine in their shop.

Lately, an outgoing mail (just text no photos) will sit in the out-box for up to 10 min before getting out. I get email errors, some mails never make it to their destination.

moments ago I was testing with a friend. He never received the Sympatico email (after some 45 min on the phone with him) yet I sent to him using the browser based MSN.com mail and it was there in seconds.

Sympatico finally sent a technician over - after me having to explain to them that Ive beat it to death on my end - it must be you. I specifically asked Sympatico to make sure the technician tests the modem and also brings a replacement. He did neither and we had to ave a replacement couriered the following Mon. He DID however admit that they had an underground cabling problem. Another from their company told me that the speed was not up to the par it should have been and that was causing hook up issues.

After installing the new modem, I was able to hook up again but the problems still persist.

Could Sympatico have anything to do with Outlook not opening sometimes? and / or freezing? - Why would it work OK at the retailer's store? - The retailer was on Rogers.

14. mobo

mobo

If it were my system I would first concentrate on windows via spyware and virus checks as well as files checks. Then I would concentrate on sympatico later. Is your sympatico highspeed ?

15. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    yes, high speed.

is this antivirus anygood in your opinon? www.free-av.com its what I am using however the techie also ran up to date Norton on it. There doesnt apprear to be any viruses.

As mentioned, my techie removed "Spybot" in leiu of "Adaware" Adaware comes up clean too.

I read in a most recent Popular Science magazine that some spywares are so small, many antispyware programs cannot detect them. If that is the case, then what?

:confused:

One other thing... some one told me that Intel has a free online system check where one can scan the chip for consistency. Also evidently the ram makers have this as well.

Have you heard of it? Where do you get it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice