Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win xp loads in safe mode but not normal mode

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  gcharles 
#1 ·
The problems started when I was watching a .avi file in windows media player 10, and the screen started blinking to black for about 2 seconds then it would go back to the video for about 2 seconds. The sound was freezing and unfreezing at the same time as the video. I could move the mouse around but only when the video and audio were unfreezed. So I tried restarting it and now whenever I boot up in normal mode, after the black screen with the Windows logo that says loading, my monitor turns off and says "no signal" as if it's been unplugged.

I can boot up in safe mode, but it's frozen up a couple times, over about 20 hours of usage, and I've had to restart.

I've tried running adaware, windows defender, housecall, kaspersky online scanner. They came up with 4-5 items but it didn't fix the problem.

I've got an amd athlon xp 1800, nvidia geforce 2 64mb, and 1gb of ram. And the computer is about 4.5 years old, the power supply is about 2 years old.

#2 ·
Have you tryed reinstalling your video drivers?

#4 ·
safe mode loads video drivers OK, but signal is lost during boot in regular Windows XP.

If anyone got further, please let me know.

I've deleted/loaded/updated vid card driver several times; I've cleaned registry, I've tried earlier configs. I'm at a loss. Any ideas before I buy a new vid card?

#5 ·
How old is your video card?

Mine was about 3 years old. I reinstalled windows and used a different video card and it works now. I tried plugging in the video card that windows was having problems with and windows started messing up again. And since I had reinstalled windows, the problem must be the video card.

So you might want to try reinstalling windows. You could even get an older video card for $5 to test with if you want.

#6 ·
My video card is 5 yrs old (GeForce 5200), which came with my computer. I just got a cheap GeForce 5500 and lo and behold, it works. I'm glad it's fixed, but I had not been updating windows, but merely watching a video as did the first poster on this thread. It's still strange to me that the card and monitor work fine in safe mode, but the card shuts down when XP is booting--and XP came with my machine five years ago. If the card/monitor work fine in safe mode, it seems it should actually be a software (driver) and/or config problem.

Thanks for responding.

#8 ·
Thanks, I wasn't expecting there to be an answer that made sense! Of course the monitor was still plugged into the card that was bad, so I just failed to think that Windows would by-pass the bad circuitry and use the motherboard--like on basic machines (and bios/boot). Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.