Win XP Log on screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LJ75

Hi I just took an old work computer off a domain to use at home and it still comes up with the log on screen to enter your user name and password. But I want to use the icons that have your user name and you click on. How do you change this. Thanks for any help.

You'll need to change the Domain box so it displays the Computer name, then log in with a valid local account -- Administrator if nothing else.

Then you need to change the PC from being in a Domain to being in a Workgroup:
Right click My Computer then click Properties
Click Computer Name tab
Click the Change button at the bottom, and tick the Workgroup box, giving it an appropriate Workgroup name.
Reboot and log back onto the system.
Goto Control Panel | User Accounts
Click Change the way users log on or off
Check the box for Use the Welcome screen, and Use Fast User Switching (if desired)
Click Apply Options

Create any new user accounts (it's recommended you don't use the built in Administrator account for day to day use) and you should be all set.

You may want to delete the old Domain profiles to free up some disk space. Right click My Computer then click Properties
Click Advanced tab
Click Settings button under User Profiles
This will show the profiles and their size
Highlight any Domain profiles and click the Delete button
Obviously, save any documents/data from those profiles before deleting.

HTH

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online