1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP Log on screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LJ75, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

Hi I just took an old work computer off a domain to use at home and it still comes up with the log on screen to enter your user name and password. But I want to use the icons that have your user name and you click on. How do you change this. Thanks for any help.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You'll need to change the Domain box so it displays the Computer name, then log in with a valid local account -- Administrator if nothing else.

Then you need to change the PC from being in a Domain to being in a Workgroup:
    Right click My Computer then click Properties
    Click Computer Name tab
    Click the Change button at the bottom, and tick the Workgroup box, giving it an appropriate Workgroup name.
    Reboot and log back onto the system.
    Goto Control Panel | User Accounts
    Click Change the way users log on or off
    Check the box for Use the Welcome screen, and Use Fast User Switching (if desired)
    Click Apply Options

Create any new user accounts (it's recommended you don't use the built in Administrator account for day to day use) and you should be all set.

You may want to delete the old Domain profiles to free up some disk space. Right click My Computer then click Properties
    Click Advanced tab
    Click Settings button under User Profiles
    This will show the profiles and their size
    Highlight any Domain profiles and click the Delete button
    Obviously, save any documents/data from those profiles before deleting.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice