Win XP Pro Boot Loader question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KrisInFla

Hi everyone and thanks for reading.

I should probably make it clear that I have 2 hard drives in my PC and I am not referring to seperate partitions on the same drive.

I have a fresh install of Win XP Pro SP3 on my C: drive and whenever I boot the PC I get options on which windows install to boot into. I had a Win 2000 install on my D: drive at one time but that drive has since been reformatted, so I'm at a loss as to why I have to choose an install at every boot.

I tried to rebuild the boot.ini file using the XP Setup Recovery Console but that only added a 3rd option to the list of installs to choose from at boot-up. :eek:

When I look at Startup and Recovery settings in the Advanced System Properties I see the following;

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /Fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

The 1st line under [operating systems] is the one that showed up after using the recovery console,
the 2nd line is the is the one I was booting to before the recovery console rebuild, and
the 3rd line is the Win 2000 install on D: drive... (even though D: has been reformatted)

My question is, can I edit the startup options manually and delete the 2nd and 3rd lines, or is there another way to clean this up so my rig boots to the C: drive automatically every time?

I would prefer not to set the timeout to 0 since I may reinstall Win 2000 on the D: drive again in the future, so its probably best to have a proper boot.ini file to build upon.

Thanks a ton in advance for your time and help. :)

UPDATE... Problem solved by folks at http://www.techsupportforum.com/

Thanks again for your help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts