1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win xp pro doesn't start, but can go in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mark03, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark03

mark03 Thread Starter

Hi,

my old computer has a problem:confused: . It's a PT 4 1.4 GB, Geforce MX 440 64 MB,Seagate HDD 80 GB, kingston RD RAM 384 MB, Intel Motherboard 850GB.
    I reformated my computer and installed Win XP Pro SP2 new. The Installation was without any problem. But when I start up now it goes to the windows page for a very short time, then the black screen comes and after a while it restarts and the same thing happen again. I can go to the safe mode without problems. I tested RAM in safe mode and there were no errors. So what's the problem? Can it be the graphic card?

Thanks for your help.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Can you be more specific on the specs for the machine? Just looking at what you listed it seems too under powered for XP Pro. I don't mean to be insulting but you've listed things incorrectly. I assume you mean P4 1.4 GHz and 384 MHz memory or RAM.

Microsoft lists the minimum for XP Pro a little above yours but barely. It could be that you just don't have enough horsepower for it.

When you say "Windows page for a short time" do you mean it gets to the classic desktop?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you installed any NVidia drivers?

4. mark03

mark03 Thread Starter

@Elvandil
    yes I have nvidia Drivers installed

@griffinspc

You are right sorry for that:
    Intel PT 4 1.4 GB
    Motherboard Intel 850GB
    384 MB RD-RAM
    Seagate HDD 80 GB
    Graphic card Geforce MX 440 64 MB

The computer worked without problems before.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

"Windows page for a short time" do you mean it gets to the classic desktop?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice