1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Xp Pro Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by guitarist968, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

Ok my friend is having a problem and I am trying to help him, but I need some help myself. I dont know much about computers.

When his computer starts up it has a choice between Win XP Pro and Win 2000 Pro, but automatically chooses XP Pro every time.

His comp is 1100ghz and has a Celeron Processor. I think the memory is like 256 or something. The computer runs really slow. I checked for Ad-ware, and found 66. I erased them but it still goes slow.

Then I did the same with Spyware.

I recommended he erase the entire hard drive and reinstall windows. That is the best thing to do because he has one messed up computer.

My question is, how do I erase the entire hard drive and reinstall Windows?

Thanks.

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Put the Windows XP CD in the CD Drive.

Reboot the computer.
    Enter the BIOS (usually using the 'delete' or 'F1' keys) during post.

Look for a setting to make your CDROM first boot (it's probably set to Floppy right now).

Make sure your hard drive is set for second boot.

Now exit and save your BIOS settings.

Now your computer SHOULD boot from the CD. Follow the on-screen instructions for Deleting the partitions. If you want him to start fresh delete all the partitions and create some new ones (NTFS for you file system).

I hope I didn't leave anything out.

3. michael_jii

michael_jii

backup everything that you want to keep on to a cd or suchlike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice