1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win xp pro keyboard & mouse not reconized

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lil-j, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lil-j

lil-j Thread Starter

Hi. My granddaughter went to computer school spent several thousand dollars for the training.When her computer goes down she brings it to this old dumb country boy to be brought back to life.Now I am scratching my head she said a virus got into her system.She build this computer in class. It has Aopen motherboard with 2600 AMD sempron processor.I have tried to download win xp again,but does not even try to. I have taken cmos battery out and left over night and no luck. I have put cleaned hard drive in and nothing.Right now it has a screen that has all the mother board information and processor information. 3/4th way down on screen it has "check sum error default loaded.Bottom of screen it has press 1 to continue press del to inter setup.I cannot do anything because my keyboard and mouse do nothing.Maybe I need to start from scratch and get drivers for motherboard and try to install,but I would have to download them on my good person computer.I sure don't want a virus on it.Is there any way to download win xp without keyboard and mouse being recognized If anyone can help my granddaughter and I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. maceman

maceman

Hi,
    If you're using USB mouse and keyboard the USB ports may not "wake up" soon enough.
    Try with PS/2 keys and mouse.

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya lil-j.

There`s any number of things to check but the obvious hiccup is the mobo showing a "checksum error" which, in my experience, tells you the CMOS chip isn`t holding BIOS data for some reason. Did you check the voltage of the battery when it was out ? ... it should be 3v. If the battery is on it`s way out, it won`t hold the BIOS info you set up and you`ll keep getting the error along with the default reset.

The fact that the keyboard isn`t active, doesn`t bode well as the standard PS2 k`b is what you use to navigate around BIOS even before the hard drive is searched for an operating system. You`re not using a USB k`b are you ... Try connecting a different keyboard, perhaps from your machine if it`s PS2 to see if that works.

Jenny

4. lil-j

lil-j Thread Starter

Hi;I am sorry maceman what do mean by ps2 keys.Jenny: I did test voltage on battery it was 3+ voltage,but replaced with new one anyway.
    the only keyboards that I have are all ps2 connection and I have tried both connection on the mouse. Still have same screen and not recognizing keyboard or mouse thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice