Win XP Pro Login Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tom_hill

Hello everybody!

I have a problem with a laptop on a company domain, when the user logs in their documents do not appear, they can log into other computers and everything is fine and other people can log into her laptop fine, the problem only occurs when she logs onto her laptop.

Any body any ideas?

fully updated Win xp pro

Thanks in advance.

Tom Hill

Check your eventviewer for any errors first of all...

Is the laptop logging onto the domain or just locally?

tom_hill

thanks for your quick reply

will check the events in a bit, its logging onto the domain does this help?

ok, so it's not taking the roaming profile... Do check the logs.

Is there a firewall running on the laptop? Check your IP addressing as well...

From a command prompt, run nslookup

tom_hill

nolookup returned expected results and firewall is just windows own

The event logs on the other hand shed lots of light! always the last place I look im not sure why:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1030
Description: Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1006
Description: Windows cannot bind to ******.local domin (Invalid Credentials). Group Policy processing aborted For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Have you changed the admin password lately? Or the pass on the account creator if you use one??? When was the last time you used this laptop on the domain?

You may want to remove and re-add to your domain.

tom_hill

erm im not so sure, what would be the best way to remove and re-add to the domain? totally client side or by deleting the computer off the server (windows 2003) and then adding the client back on to the domain?

You shouldn't need to delete the account from the server... just do it on the client side through system.

Check the link above first.

tom_hill

thats very much for your help (quick repleis etc) i will look into this more tomorrow and get back to you

tom_hill

looked at the link you gave me but none of the error messages are familiar with problems on this computer, also before removing and re-adding the computer to the domain i thought i would logon as the computers local admin to check the password but i dont have the correct password, and if i remember rightly i will need this to re-add the computer to the domain?

tom_hill

I changed the local admin password from the server and removed the client computer from the domain and placed it back into the domain, this hasnt solved the problem. :confused:

tom_hill

Problem solved! not quite sure how but something seems to have clicked into place and now it works fine

Thanks for your help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online