1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP Pro on top of XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mnahmia, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mnahmia

mnahmia Thread Starter

Can Pro be installed on top of XP home or do I need to do a clean install? :confused:
    Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Easiest upgrade that there is and the least prone to problems.

3. mnahmia

mnahmia Thread Starter

You mean no need for clean install?
    Thks

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should note that if you have sp1 installed on home, you should use an xp disk with sp1. MS does not recommend upgrading home with sp1 to pro without sp1.

5. mnahmia

mnahmia Thread Starter

I have xp home with latest sp1 upgrade installed.If I buy a new Win Xp Pro disk,can I then install on top of XP home?
    Understand the newer Win Xp Pro program already includes the sp1 upgrade.
    Thks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes. The upgrade should go very smoothly. Recent versions of XP will already have SP1a included. You can simply do a "repair" installation with the Pro CD and keep all your settings the way they are now, as well as all your programs.

The drivers for your hardware are already there in Home (vanishingly few drivers are different in Pro than in Home). The entire process should be over in less than 45 minutes :D.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice