1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP pro recovery admin password??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bille1, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bille1

Bille1 Thread Starter

I have XP Pro with all updates lately it has problems starting and often it has the Title bar at the bottom blacked out so I have to try to start by pressing reset but it's still a problem.

Tried;

(1) Using the SFC /scannow program to check files and locations - Hasn't improved situation.

(2) Have tried booting from Windows XP Pro CD - Press any key > F2 > Windows Set-up > Loads files > Start Windows.

(3) Repair Windows > Press R > Tries to Log-on and asks for Admin Password.

I don't recall ever using/designating an Admin Password...Is it likely to be a generic Password?? - I've tried 'Admin' and a couple of other Passwords that I regularly use but NO-GO.

So now I'm here asking...Begging if you like for some help:-(

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Sponsor

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

leave it blank, dont type anything, just press the enter key on your keyboard

4. Bille1

Bille1 Thread Starter

Thanks Jack....That was quick.

OK done that however it just presents the same black screen with the C:\WINDOWS>...doesn't offer any options for repair......

Or is that it?

5. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

you have entered the Recovery Console, where you can repair certain aspects of Windows by using commands that you type in.

If you want to do a Repair Installation of Windows then at the 1st screen of Options press Enter to install XP, then on the subsequent screen press R to initiate a Repair Install

here is an illustrated step-by-step guide for doing a repair install
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm
    Make sure you have your XP installation key/code (COA) to hand, you will need it.

6. Bille1

Bille1 Thread Starter

Hi Jack

Once again thanks for your interest, however about 50% through the process when it copies/loads the files I get the message that it can't copy the AGT0816.DLL is missing and gives 3 options (1) try again (2) press escape to move on (Warns Windows might become flaky or similar words) (3) Discontinue.

I used the 2nd option and it almost completes the process, shows a black screen with the Windows XP logo and stops there with the hour glass timer running.

If I force a close down and then switch on again it stops at the custom wall paper..no bar at the bottom of the screen and no icons.

I then get a pop-up saying "Microsoft Feeds Synchronisation problem send a report to Microsoft" when the notification is sent
    another pop-up appears;

http://oca.microsoft.com/redir.aspx...93300236&LCID=1033&OS=5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0
    The Parameter is incorrect.

This URL takes me to http://oca.microsoft.com/en/404.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/en/404.aspx which I don't understand at all.

I think the programs and data are still probably on the drive and would like to have access to as much as possible as there are a couple of 16 bit programs and a number of 32 bit programs that wont run on my new 64 bit machine.

So I'm considering whether I should buy another HDD do a fresh install of XP Pro and the programs and see if I can access the data on the 'Old' HDD.

Is this a reasonable course of action?

Thanks for your continued interest.

Bill

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963596