1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP Pro stop code:Stop: 0x0000007b

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tham, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tham

tham Thread Starter

:confused: I'll attempt to make a very long story short:

Major virus infection on computer resulted in fdisk and reformat. I used Win 98SE to fdisk and reformat, as I couldn't for the life of me find a format on the Dell Operating reinstallation CD. (could be first mistake)

Used Win 98 SE startup diskette to start system w/CD rom support.

Navigated to D: Drive which containe the XP OS reinstallation. Navigated to I386 folder and typed WINNT to begin reinstalling files.

Start WIn XP setup and began copying files to HD.

Screen shows: The MS-DOS based portion of setup is complete. Setup will now restart you computer. After your computer restarts, WIN XP Setup will continue. Remove floppy, etc.

Computer restarts - did inspection of system, shows Win XP Setup, loading files (drivers, controllers, etc.)

Starting windows - Welcom to Setup:
    1. Setup - press enter
    2. Repair (using Repair Console)
    3. Quite - F3

Pressed enter

Next message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer. This may involve running a mfg supplied diagnostics or setup program.

Setup cannot continue Press F3

System then attempts reboot, attempts installation again by booting from HD. Then error message:

Stop error:
    Stop: 0x0000007b
    (0xf7cb063c, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

At this point I must shut off the PC.

System:

Dell Deminsion 4600 series p4 processor @2.4 GHz
    512 MD DDR SDRAM @ 400 MHz
    128 MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
    80GB 7200 RMP Ultra ATA HD
    Win XP Pro SP1
    48x/24x/48x CD-RW Drive
    SoundBlaster Live! w/ 5.1 support

I have looked on MS site for the error code and think I understand that the problem is either a hd controller device driver is not installing from the Dell Reinstallation CD and therefore stops the installation of the software. I'm not sure how I can possibly extract and install the driver setup may be looking for. Looking for suggestions, and direction.

Thanks,

tham

2. natcom

natcom

those your bios see the hard drive as master ?

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I think it more likely that the Dell CD can't see a Dell partition the put on the hard disk and which you wiped with the Format command. That's why aDell CD only works on a Dell computer. If Setup couldn't continue and Repair or Quit were the only other options, my best guess is that you or she has now to buy a new copy of XP and install it from fresh, preferably allowing it to format in NTFS over the FAT 32 format the '98 floppy would have put in.

4. tham

tham Thread Starter

a little additional information - from the BIOS
    bios version - A02
    Drive configuration - SATA Raid = on
    Primary master drive = off
    primary slave drive = off
    secondary master drive = cd-rom device
    secondary slave drive = cd-rom device
    IDE Drive UMA = on
    +++++++++++++++++
    hard disk drive sequence = 1. System BIOS boot devices
    2. ST3120026AS
    +++++++++++++++++
    so.......natcom, if you are asking me if the bios sees the HD as master - I'm guessing it "doesn't"????
    +++++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++++
    Saga Lout - I'm bringing my personal copy of XP Pro from home to attempt another FDISK and Format and see if that will work.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you set the 2 devices on the primary channel to "Auto"? Are both IDE channels enabled?

6. tham

tham Thread Starter

the options I have when I look at the Primary master and slave drives are:
    Model - unknown
    Drive Type = off or auto
    with a capacity of = N/a

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check the cables on the first channel and set it to "Auto".

8. tham

tham Thread Starter

I'll check it. Have to tell ya, this box has never been open. Only moved from GM's office to mine to fix. But!! will certainly check this as you folks have been willing to at least talk to me about this. Will be a short before I check back.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    0x0000007b - could be the drive itself. This error is usually means the drive is screwed somehow. But definatley try to set the drive to auto like Elvandil suggested

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sometimes things get worked loose over time, too, especially if it was moved. Check all your connections while you're in there anyway.

11. natcom

natcom

if the bios dont see your hardrive you won't be able to install windows make sure the bios read your hardrive and that is setup for master on the primary IDE channel

12. natcom

natcom

and also you can download the diagnostic tools for your hard drive from they website and check the drive for bad sector

13. tham

tham Thread Starter

Just wanted to tell everyone who replied with ideas and suggestions, that I REALLY DO appreciate the time you took to try and help with my problem. I walked away from the problem (had other work to do) for awhile and returned to it this morning.
    :)
    Wanted to let you know that the problem was resolved. The error code I was receiving was indicating that the system may be asking for a particular controller, and when I was attempting to install XP there is an option (F6) to load a specific controller. I finally found a Dell resource disk that had drivers and utilities on it. When I booted the computer from this particular disk it gave me an option to copy a controller driver to a floppy, (Which is the only option in XP setup to load a specific driver). After making a copy of the driver and using the F6 option, I was able to continue the setup process and the system is formatting as we speak. Looks like I'll be able to get this computer off my desk and back to the GM SOON.

Again, Thanks.................I appreciate the input, it made me think about other options I hadn't tried.

14. natcom

natcom

hey thank you for letting us know what fix the problem see you around :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/297811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice