1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Xp Professional Random Resets!!! Arghhh!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wyd69, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wyd69

wyd69 Thread Starter

Hey peops,

I have a Athlon 2000+ , 512 samsung 2700 ram, Asus A7V8X, and a 40gb Maxtor HD... Now I basically have 2 problems... my windows is a piece since kazaa, winamp, explorer all crash randomly but i'm pretty sure thats due to the illegal xp... and also, my comp randomly resets whenever i try to play a game such as splinter cell demo, or mechwarrior 4... of course I don't have these problems with my Abit KG7... power supply perhaps?... the +5 lead is at 4.78 ... and on my KG7 it's a solid 5.05 ... so I'm thinking it's probably the stupid motherboard.

- Cade Taylor

2. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, If you want help to correct an illegal XP then we can't help you.

Actually the 2 programs should be the same. Peace Mal

3. wyd69

wyd69 Thread Starter

Well I will post back tomorrow... Purolator has my Win xp home and if it gives me the same problems i'll BE BACK!

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

To be honest, I doubt that the problem is related to the illegal copy of xp (unless you have a crappy copy). I "Evaluated" XP Professional for about 3 months before I decided I was going to keep it at which time I bought a legal copy.

What you are talking about could have a few different causes though.

1) power supply. Random restarts and crashes are classic symptoms of an underpower/failing power supply. If you are not running AT LEAST a 350W powersupply, thats the first thing I would replace.

2) RAM. Bad ram will also cause these symptoms. Try with just one stick of ram, then try the other. If you only have one stick, borrow one and see if it helps.

3) Spyware. Kazaa loads spyware which causes conflicts/crashes. Try using
    Kazaalite. same thing, no spyware. also download either Adaware 6.0 or Spybot, update it and then run it. let it fix any spyware entries it finds.

4) Heat is the next thing that comes to mind. Check your temps next time it reboots. If you are much over low to mid 40's then I would consider adding a new heatsink/fan combo, rerouting cables, installing a case fan, etc to lower the temps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice