1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP registry screwup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darheim, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darheim

darheim Thread Starter

When I upgraded to a 20 GB drive and reloaded XP, Xp issued the drive as drive F instead of C. Unfortunately, mu Palm software wouldn't load as it looks for drive C. I checked help and it said how you could change the volume letter by going through the reigstry. I did. Big mistake. Now XP gets as far as the login screen. I put in my login info, but it comes back with an error about not being able to find the license. I have tried to boot from the install disc, but it completely ignores the CD ROM, even though in the BIOS, the order is floppy, CD ROM, hard disc.
    My hope is to run repair by getting it to boot to CD.
    Any suggestions?:confused:

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

you could download the 6 boot disks and start a fresh reload of xp. You can restore or do a full install this way.

not sure why it's not picking up on the cd-rom, enter the setup and change the path to cd-rom, A, C. or something like this. Before decideing to do the above suggestion.

3. darheim

darheim Thread Starter

Suggestion as where to locate the 6 boot discs? I had already tried changing the lineup to CD ROM, A, then hard drive. It didn't change anything. Still ignored the ROM.

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

go to your start menu and click help and support type in:

'6 boot disks for xp'

click the 'microsoft knowledge base'

look for the choice that says: obtaining windows xp set up disks.

scroll down, choose either xp home or xp pro, and have your 6 floppies ready.

5. darheim

darheim Thread Starter

Thank you. I've located the info and downloading the boot disks now. Any suggestion on how to "force" it during install to call it drive C instead of F, since I already have programs and documents on the drive?

If you feel that attempting to force it to call it C is not a good idea, then maybe what I need to do is contact Palm about a way to tell the software installer to use drive F for the files it would normally put on C. These are system files, not program files. It handles those okay.

Keep warm, spring is coming. We're due for rain today.

6. BTS '76

BTS '76

you said you changed HD or added one.

I'm not sure why it's calling it F, how did you upgrade your HD?

7. darheim

darheim Thread Starter

Normal install. It was a new drive. There is also a CD ROM and a CDRW installed. It called the ROM drive D, the CDRW drive E, and the slave drive drive G. Don't understand why it didn't call the master drive C.

8. BTS '76

BTS '76

yeah, I'm not too sure about that. You could try unistalling everything, and then adding the HD. partition, format, and then install everything else.

9. vesselle

vesselle

you said in your message that your order is:
    floppy
    cdrom
    other stuff

no wonder you can't boot from your cdrom.
    move it up above floppy.

V***V

10. marklab

marklab

I had this same issue when I changed my HD.

Did you try what this MS link is instructing?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188

I do not see any reason why your computer is not booting from the cd. The order you have listed seems proper. Is this an original copy of the OS cd? Or is it a backup. Sometimes backups will not have the info to boot on them.

I cannot remember exactly what I did to get windows to change my drive letters but I think I had to boot from my original drive change the letter of the new one. Boot from the new one change the original. Then boot from the original and change the letter of the new one. Then boot from the new one again. I changed the letters of the drives in computer management.

Hope this helps.

Mark

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice