1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP showing win 98 taskbar and desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sarahb1964, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarahb1964

sarahb1964 Thread Starter

I have just installed win xp over win 98 on my sons computer. During installlation 2 files could not be written to, after several attempts I skipped them. These files were metal_ss.dll and mplayer2.inf. Now when we boot up the task bar and desktop resembles win 98 (I have checked the start bar properties to ensure that the correct settings have been applied. Any suggestions?

2. Sponsor

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Go into the Display properties (Control Panel > Display > Appearance). Under 'Windows and buttons', you have a choice of "Windows XP style", or "Windows Classic style". If you cannot change it, let us know.

4. sarahb1964

Have followed your instructions, but Windows Classic style is the only option

5. Shozbot

Shozbot

In order to fix this you'll need your XP CD.
    Make a new folder in your C: drive (ex. c:\temp). This is where we are
    going to extract a good luna.msstyles file. Put in your XP CD. If it autoruns
    just close it. Go to a command prompt. (Start, Run, and Type command, and hit enter.)
    You should now see something like this C:\Documents and Settings\youruser>. Type in the name of the CD Drive (ex. D:). Type in cd i386. Now type in expand luna.ms_ c:\temp. You should now have expanded the file into your temp folder. Type exit to close the command prompt. Go to your temp folder and rename luna.ms_ to luna.msstyles. Double click on it to set your appearance to XP to see if it works. If it does copy the file to your c:\windows\resources\themes\luna folder.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I am sure this is only the beginnig of your problems and I would suggest you do a clean install because XP goes in very badly over Windows 98, and really should not even be done over an existing system. usually networking and modem use is impossible, sound problems prevail etc...you can use an update cd to do a clean install BTW
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

7. sarahb1964

Have tried your suggestion and get 'cannot open input file: luna.ms'

Any other suggestions?

8. sarahb1964

I have tried a clean install following the instructions from the link you kindly gave - I formatted the hard drive and started again - but still the same - no xp task bar and no option to change it from control panel>appearances

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Does the task bar show if you run your cursor over it?

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What is the make and model number of your computer and what version of Windows are you trying to install?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/495682