win xp shuts down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sweetcheekies

hi .. was just wondering if any one could tell me why .. when I am not at my computer .. it shuts down.. i dont have it on screensaveer. etc.. i dont know where else to look to change things.. any help would be great. i am running win xp with ie 6. thanks

sweetc

sweetcheekies

it was already set to that.. but it dont seem to be working.. anyother ideas?

sweetcheekies

I am still having that problem.. it still shuts down when i let the computer sit and try to leave it on.. the monitor dont turn off just the main computer.. anyone have some other ideas for me?

Check Temp settings in Bios, maybe computer get's too hot after a while and shut's itself down. Many Bioses support this now, Bios will shut down your computer after the threshold temp / voltage has been exceeded.
Also check the CPU Fan... computer will run fine for a little while w/o it then will shut down from the above explanation.

sweetcheekies

okay how do i check these? and what happens if i dont want it to do that? will it hurt my computer if i turn that off if that is what it is?

Easiest way to do this is to take the side panel off and start the computer, and see if the CPU fan is running. Getting in the BIOS is a little bit more tricky to explain if you don't already know how. What type of computer do you have.

sweetcheekies

uhmmm its all new so not sure on what my puter specs are. sorry its been a long day and i should know how to tell u but my brain aint functioning.. please refresh my memory. oh and to get to bios i know u hit f8 or what have u at the start up of my machine. i was just wondering where in there would i be looking and what to do when i get there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online