1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win xp shuts down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sweetcheekies, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

hi .. was just wondering if any one could tell me why .. when I am not at my computer .. it shuts down.. i dont have it on screensaveer. etc.. i dont know where else to look to change things.. any help would be great. i am running win xp with ie 6. thanks

sweetc

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Control panel/Power options

Turn off hard drive after ? mins

steam

3. sweetcheekies

it was already set to that.. but it dont seem to be working.. anyother ideas?

4. sweetcheekies

I am still having that problem.. it still shuts down when i let the computer sit and try to leave it on.. the monitor dont turn off just the main computer.. anyone have some other ideas for me?

5. pinger

pinger

Check Temp settings in Bios, maybe computer get's too hot after a while and shut's itself down. Many Bioses support this now, Bios will shut down your computer after the threshold temp / voltage has been exceeded.
    Also check the CPU Fan... computer will run fine for a little while w/o it then will shut down from the above explanation.

6. sweetcheekies

okay how do i check these? and what happens if i dont want it to do that? will it hurt my computer if i turn that off if that is what it is?

7. pinger

pinger

Easiest way to do this is to take the side panel off and start the computer, and see if the CPU fan is running. Getting in the BIOS is a little bit more tricky to explain if you don't already know how. What type of computer do you have.

8. sweetcheekies

uhmmm its all new so not sure on what my puter specs are. sorry its been a long day and i should know how to tell u but my brain aint functioning.. please refresh my memory. oh and to get to bios i know u hit f8 or what have u at the start up of my machine. i was just wondering where in there would i be looking and what to do when i get there.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!