1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP Sleep Mode help!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TBaker14, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

OK...I'm stumped. I'm using my desktop computer with Windows XP. Until yesterday, I had my keyboard shortcut key conveniently programmed to put Win into a Sleep mode (not hibernate). The computer would say "preparing to standby" or something. Everything would shut off - fans, hard drive...you couldn't hear a sound. However, you could see a slow flashing light on the front of the computer. To turn it on, you pressed the power button...shaking the mouse or a keystroke wouldn't wake it.

Now...I just bought a new keyboard yesterday. It too has a shortcut key for sleep mode. However, the only programmable functions for it are: standby, hibernate, shutdown, do nothing, etc, etc. So, I figured Standby was the one to pick. Then I found out that Standby makes it does something different. The monitor goes off, but the fan is still on and the light on the front blinks...but a bit faster. Shaking the mouse will wake up the computer.

I know for sure that I didn't use Hibernate mode previously because I had it disabled.

Can anyone shed some light?

Regards,

TBaker14

2. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

Wow...still nothing? Don't tell me I've stumped the Tech Support Guys!?

seriously...can anyone help me?

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

4. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

Thanks...but no...I already read that one. It refers to Standby and Hibernate mode.

I'm talking about Sleep mode. Standby sort of shuts down, but the fan still runs, the power light blinks fast and you just have to hit the keyboard or mouse to start it up again. Hibernate pretty much shuts down and it sort of boots up again.

When I used to do the Sleep mode (button on my old keyboard)...it would sort of "stand by" but all the fans were off and the power light blinked slowly.

I guess I'll have to hook up my old keyboard and try to figure out how I made it do that...it was great because it was the best between Standby and Hibernate.

TBaker14

5. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

Still nothing from anyone, eh? Have I actually stumped you? Come on...someone - somewhere must know what I'm talking about?!

6. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

Still nothing, eh?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice