1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP startup problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kuku56us, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kuku56us

kuku56us Thread Starter

Hello everybody!

Here is my problem. I exchange the HDD from my older pc to newer one. The HDD has Windows XP installed in order to make the HDD with XP work on the new PC I had to reinstall the XP (right on the top of old XP). Now when I start/restart my PC, after XP (pro SP1) it loads fine, through the standard xp screen until the welcome screen appears. After that, my desktop pic shows, but it takes about 2 min for my actualy explorer to load. In this time, my PC seems to be doing nothing, no HDD activity, no removable storage searching, just sitting there.

If anybody has any ideas, pleas help!!!

2. maxim730

maxim730

huh.. why did you reinstall XP over XP?

3. kuku56us

kuku56us Thread Starter

I had to do that because when I pulled the HDD out of the older PC and put it into the new one it won't start because the different mobo and cpu and other different devices

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Not sure what you are saying, but excahning a HD from one PC to another will result in many problems, especially if they are different makes/models.

Your best bet is to backup necessary data and rebuild on the PC you want to run on.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Thats exactly what he has done, and its the correct thing to do. He reloaded XP on the new PC, so all drivers should now relate to the new PC.

Possibly the delay is that its got an active network card, and its looking for a network. Takes about 2 minutes to time out?

6. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Glad you could translate that.

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

OPK I see, bet it was not a clean install (re-install) which do not clear everything.

Install XP again, with a format.

8. kuku56us

kuku56us Thread Starter

Thank you. I have a network card installed and I tried to disable it, but it is the same result, even more if I start PC in the save mode the same story

9. kuku56us

kuku56us Thread Starter

I thought maybe there would be another way to fix the problem. I just have a lot of everything on that HD

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Remember that HDD's fail with monotonous regularity. Anything stored on the drive should be considered temporary unless you have at backed up. So if it's important, back it up anyway. Then a reformat and reinstall is painless.

I have lost on average 1 per year, over all 4 PCs here. They are cheap now, but the quality is not great. Warranty period has usually been reduced to 1 year, unless you pay extra for 3 years. Thats a good indication of the intended lifespan.

11. kuku56us

kuku56us Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. You are right!!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice