1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP to Win 2000?? Is there a way?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dgr8dude, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgr8dude

dgr8dude Thread Starter

I recently bought a laptop with Win XP installed in it. It was previously pre-loaded with Win 2000, but it doesn't come with the original Win 2000 CD. Now, I want to re-install it back to Win 2000 since the XP O/S alone takes most of the space in the hard drive. Is it possible to re-intall Win 2000 without having to re-format the HD? I don't want to loose the drivers. I tried to load Win 2000, but since XP is a newer O/S version, it doesn't allow me to install Win 2000. Thanks.

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

To the best of my knowledge this is not possible, you cannot downgrade your OS.

There may be some way to hack it and get round it, but I would not recomend it as you really dont want to be starting off your install on the wrong foot.

Best advice is to download all your drivers onto a CD then do a reinstall with windows 2000 and put the drivers back on.

3. pianoman1948

pianoman1948

I am here to tell you, it is possible to run into problems installing 2000 on a drive that has had XP *even if* you re-format the HD. For that matter, even if you completely zero out the HD (!!!). XP seems to be a little too smart. Save your drivers and your data too.

You might want to keep tabs on this thread:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=41066

Ted

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice