Win XP unable to renew IP Address. Can anyone Help me PLEASE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

craftee

Hi Guys,
I've got a major problem adding a new PC (Dell) to my Home Network.

My existing network is VERY small, but works OK. It comprises 1 Emachines PC (Win XP Home) and a Cable modem, connected via an Edimax 5 port ethernet switch. I can access Broadband Internat with no problems. The Link/Act Lights on the Switch Flicker in unison.

When I plug in the new Dell (Win XP Home), the Link/Act lights on the switch, flicker exactly the same on all used ports, so it looks like I have a Physical connection.

The Network Icon on the Emachines PC says:- Speed 100Mbps, Status Connected.

The Network Icon on the Dell says:- Speed 100Mbps, Status Limited or No connectivity.

When I select Repair on the Dell, I get the error Message Unable to renew IP Address.

I have tried to set an IP Adress manually, but don't know how to do it properly.

I have Windows Firewall turned Off on the Dell and Norton Internet Security Disabled on the Emachine.

I have contacted Dell, whose responce was to change the Motherboard on the Dell, but it's still exactly the same.

I am at the end of my tether and ready to throw the Dell out of the Window.

Please help if you can.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Paul.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
My first question is: does the switch assign IP addresses?

If you don't know and don't know how to find out, on the Emachines do:

Start - Run - Cmd - OK
In the black "DOS" window, type (without the quotes) "ipconfig /all >C:\config.txt"

Then using Notepad copy the contents of config.txt into a post here. We'll be able to tell a lot from that info.

Dell changed the motherboard?!? Did they do any testing of acquiring IP address before or after doing that?

craftee

Hi,

WOW, that's what I call service, are you guys here 24/7

I don't know if the Switch assigns network addresses, so I've got the IP configuration from the Emachine as you described, it is listed below.

The tech support at Dell asked me to carry out a few tests before they arranged the collection and replacement of the mother board, but they wanted me to "Ping" this and "Ping" that, but as I had no connection, I didn't get very far.

At one stage I did achieve a connection, but the IP address kept zeroing itself every few seconds (while I was watching)

Regards,

Paul

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LIVINGROOM

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-2B-2E-53-90

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 82.32.147.236

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 82.32.144.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.64.113

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.31.176.39

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 June 2005 17:21:00

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 30 June 2005 10:56:45

Hope this means something to you!!

Do the "ipconfig /all >C:\config.txt" on the EMachine and post it here (for comparison). Btw, shouldn't the Subnet Mask be 255.255.255.0 ??

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Those IPs 82.32. ... are (I'm 99% sure) honest to goodness public IP addresses; not assigned by your switch. Your Emachine is getting its IP address directly from your ISP as if the switch is not even there.

Please test this by shutting everything down, and then connect the laptop to the switch. Turn on the modem, switch and laptop, one at a time in that order. If I am right, your laptop will now work fine, but if you then try your Emachine it will fail to acquire an IP address.

I searched for "Edimax 5 port ethernet switch" and among the specifications found:
Uplink Port Slide switch selection on the last port

I am completely unfamiliar with any switches (I have a wireless router with 4 port switch), but it sounds like you need to shut everything down, set a slide switch on the last port to make it an Uplink (Internet) port, connect the cable from the modem to that port, and your computers to two other ports, then power up modem, switch, and computers one at a time in that order. If you have a manual, please check it before listening to me!

If my guesses are correct, the switch will obtain an IP address from your ISP, and will assign IP addresses (probably starting 192.166 ... or else 10. ...) to each computer.

Please, please let us know what happens.
----------------------------------------
prOt3st, Subnet Mask was set by ISP, and they probably know what it should be. We are used to seeing 0's and 255's, but those are just the end points.

craftee

Hi Guys,

Here is the Windows IP Configuration from the Dell, by the way, this is not a Laptop (just in case it makes a difference).

There are no slide switches or settings that I can see on the Edimax.

I'm just off to try the network without the Emachine connected, I'll report back shortly.

...................................................................................

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-B6-3B-7C

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.195.150

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Btw, can you connect to the Default Gateway? That is, can you connect to the switch/router? Reason I'm asking is because the 82.32.144.1 is not a common gateway address. Should be something like 192.16x.xx.xx. If you can connect to the switch/router (without an internet connection) you should be able to obtain the actual IP address assigned by the switch/router.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
My "192.166. ..." in previous post was a typo; should be "192.168 ... ."

prOt3st, the 82.32.144.1 seems to be the gateway assigned by the ISP. I have successfully pinged it. The switch seems to be working just like a hub; simply a connector, not a DHCP server. Do you have any ideas of how to get it working at a higher level?

TerryNet said:
My "192.166. ..." in previous post was a typo; should be "192.168 ... ."

prOt3st, the 82.32.144.1 seems to be the gateway assigned by the ISP. I have successfully pinged it. The switch seems to be working just like a hub; simply a connector, not a DHCP server. Do you have any ideas of how to get it working at a higher level?
I'm afraid not... As of now, I'm connected (to the net) via LAN (router) - no switch. All my LAN settings are configured manually.

If this is truly a switch, it wouldn't assign IP addresses would it? Most switches don't... that's what routers are for. If this ISP is anything like mine at home, simply putting two PCs on a switch wouldn't do the trick because I'm only allotted one IP address (without paying extra of course). In order to get them both to grab an IP, they have to be connected on a router, not a switch.

Cerviperus said:
If this is truly a switch, it wouldn't assign IP addresses would it? Most switches don't... that's what routers are for. If this ISP is anything like mine at home, simply putting two PCs on a switch wouldn't do the trick because I'm only allotted one IP address (without paying extra of course). In order to get them both to grab an IP, they have to be connected on a router, not a switch.
Makes perfect sense to me... I'd have to agree with that.

craftee

Hi Guys,

I've just switched off everything and disconnected the Emachines PC.

I switched on the Cable Modem, the Switch and then the Dell.

Unfortunately, the Dell is still the same and is unable to renew the IP Address. :confused:

I have checked the instructions for the Switch, and it doesn't say anything helpful.

It just says it's Plug and Play, and to plug it in and turn it on.

I'm just off to try and network just with the Switch (Cable Modem not connected).

Regards,

Paul

craftee

Hi Guys,

My latest test has proved to be a complete failure :( Without the Cable Modem connected I get nothing.

No connection or IP Address on either of the PC's.

I've been reading your other comments and am starting to get confused.

I don't want to use the internet connection on both PC's but it sounds like I can't connect everything together without another IP Address from my ISP.

Why can't I assign my own addresses?

Regards,

Paul

Cerviperus said:
For reasons stated above, you'll probably need to get yourself a router to be able to assign IP addresses.

Question for you craftee (just for clarification)...

What is it you're trying to accomplish exactly? Do you want the PCs to be able to see each other? I figured your aim was to have both PCs on the Internet, but then you say this...
I don't want to use the internet connection on both PC's...
Sorry, but I'm a little confused...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online