1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win xp updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dougj, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

I am still forced to use dial up as my isp connection. I have been forced to reload my o/s mulitple times due to h/w and driver issues. Every time it takes me 2 days to d/l and install all the updates to the o/s.

Is there a way to download the updates once and save them so I can burn them to CD and save all that time or is there a way to save the downloads from some folder once they have been downloaded by the updates website??

thanx...D.

2. happyrck

happyrck

I dont have time tonite to tell you how to do it...get firefox and install it...and tomorrow I will tell you how to do it..you will have all the updates backed up so that if you ever have to reinstall you can do the updates in about 2 hrs..including SP2

3. mike5532g

mike5532g

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Dougj,

You can goto: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html
    to get WinXP security updates, and also for IE and Optional updates.

Download them into new and/or separate folders and burn them to CD for future use.

mike5532g's link is good also, but for each approach since MS has Update Patch Tuesday (2nd Tues. of each month), either approach quickly is out-of-date.

-- Tom

5. happyrck

happyrck

to lotuseclat79 ...just used firefox to get a update from software patch...I have been using another way/link to do this but your link is better...you can see them all at once...I will add this to my "bag of tricks"....thanks(y) (y)

6. mike5532g

mike5532g

7. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

thanx all that seems t work great. It will save me hundreds of hours

8. infected514

infected514

i heard good things about www.autopatch.com never had a chance to use it though
    Basicly as I understand you download a torrent file with all the updates.

9. happyrck

happyrck

Not quite true...I install about 5 updates at atime..you just put a check exit without reboot...do that each time it comes up until you are ready to reboot and test for stability

10. mike5532g

mike5532g

That may not be a good idea, or perhaps I misunderstood the article. Maybe one of our local gurus could add some insight.

According to Microsoft

"Chaining update installations without QChain.exe is not safe
    When you install updates, if a file is locked or in use, it cannot be replaced. As a result, the file is placed in the Pending File Rename queue and is replaced after the computer restarts. The problem occurs in the following scenario:
    • You install updates A and B without restarting the computer between installations.
    • Both packages contain file X. Package A's file X is version 3; package B's file X is version 2. The version of file X on the computer is version 1.
    • When package A is installed, it places its version of file X in the Pending File Rename queue.
    • When package B is installed, it places its version of file X in the Pending File Rename queue.
    • When the computer is restarted, because package B was installed last, its version of file X is installed (in the Pending File Rename queue, the last file is the one that is used). As a result, version 2 is installed instead of version 3 as you expected.
    "

:confused: :confused: :confused:

11. happyrck

happyrck

yep read that too...but my understanding is the update just doesn't work...when you check for updates it would show as one that you needed if you are using IE for your updates...I use firefox and get them by # and carry all of them on a thumb drive and install them from the drive without ill effect...sometimes it will say something about you have a more current update and that one won't install...I have been doing it this way for about 8 months

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice