1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP vs MS DOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheHawk, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheHawk

TheHawk Thread Starter

I don't know if it is just something I am doing but I just can't get a command prompt during bootup! I have a RAID controller so until it is initialized I cannot access any of my partitions so that means my startup disk is useless, and if I use the WinXP Pro Edition CD to try and do Safe Mode with the Command Prompt it reboots my whole system....

The story is that my system is locked in a constant reboot, it can't load XP for some reason and whenever I try to reinstall windows or anything it always starts the scan and then gives me an error in ntfs.dll and shuts itself down. Then I try and get a command prompt and it still reboots so I can't format, I can't delete, I can't repair.... HELP!!

PS I just bought this comp two weeks ago and it is brand new:
    Athlon 3.0 Ghz
    Radeon 9700 Pro 128 Meg
    120 Gigs of HD in 3 partitions (Only one OS running)
    1024 Megs of DDRam (only 512 in it now because one stick was faulty)
    WinXP Pro Edition OS (All updates etc + all updated Drivers etc)

The system worked fine last time I used it but this morning when I turned it on it wouldn't start X_x And if I can't even get a command prompt to do anything with... I am screwed, any suggestions?

2. mobo

mobo

You don't need the cd for safe mode did you know..? Reboot and start tapping the f8 key to get to the safe mode screen. If it startup this way then it is likely to be software related.

If that doesn't work then reinsert the xp cd and reboot with it. Be sure the bios is set to boot from cdrom first. then enter the repair console and try a repair..

3. TheHawk

TheHawk Thread Starter

Thanks for trying, but that doesn't work.... because remember that an option for safe mode results in a reboot as soon as it is done initializing windows and if I do the XP CD repair console it shuts down windows to prevent 'any further damage from happening'.... Its a really dumb and irritating problem, I would like to simply delete the corrupt file so it won't give me the error and then I can reinstall windows... But that can't happen as I can't even get to the command line without it first trying to initialize windows (resulting in another crash)

EDIT: Here is the EXACT error message I get if trying to reinstall windows or anything -

*** Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, 0xF89ADB70, 0xF89A0870, 0xF814B830)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F814B83D base F813A000, DateStamp 3dbde5c1

4. mobo

mobo

So basically you cannot get into the repair console, safe mode or regular mode at all ?

5. mobo

mobo

What bout other commands from the safe mode option screen like " Last known good configuration"

6. TheHawk

TheHawk Thread Starter

Tried em all, literally I am shut out of my whole dam system because of stupid Win XP and its supression of MS DOS.... I tried all the options on a regular bootup and I tried all the options for setting up XP, all keep coming up as a deadend. I have run Win98 startup disks and Win95 startup disks but I can't format anything because technically I have no harddrives till my RAID intializes my harddrive.... argh... why do these problems always happen to me X_x

7. TheHawk

TheHawk Thread Starter

*bump*

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Can you bypass the RAID and hook your drive up normally?

9. TheHawk

TheHawk Thread Starter

I am not sure.... I am cursed when it comes to hardware so I am a little hesitant to try, but I could probably give it a shot... I am not familiar with RAID or how to bypass it so any suggestions would be appreciated X_x

I am bordering on insanity, I can't understand how so many things can go wrong with a brand new system :p lol, nobody else who I know that bought a new system had any troubles... maybe it is a divine message or something :S

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In a slightly different direction, but you may have a bad piece of RAM - can you remove any 2nd piece or try another stick of RAM.

If you can boot from the CD, it has the option to delete partitions are reformat right in the setup. Do not use the Repair Console but rather try a new Install of XP and choose to delete the current partition and reformat in NTFS - if that does not work then you have a hardware problem.

12. TheHawk

TheHawk Thread Starter

My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X

and the recovery console doesn't work :*( I really wish it did, but it keeps giving me that error because when I try to start it I get the ntfs.sys error that forces windows to terminate to prevent further damage from happening X_x
    I can't even format anything, I had better not be forced to replace the HD or I am gonna strangle the guy who bought me the parts for the comp.... its been one messed up part after the next, I am beginning to think he just dusted off old ones and gave me instruction manuals :p

EDIT: I have tried to reinstall windows alot, but it won't let me even past the welcome screen without giving me a error... I will post the error again, it is something to do with my file system (ntfs)

*** Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, 0xF89ADB70, 0xF89A0870, 0xF814B830)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F814B83D base F813A000, DateStamp 3dbde5c1

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Follow triple6's advice, try some other ram.

Can't you pop the drive in a friend's rig and run a diagnostic? Maxtor's http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm seems to work well for all drives. In a non-RAID rig you might be able to replace the corrupt ntfs.sys file (assuming all the harware is OK).

14. TheHawk

TheHawk Thread Starter

I know beyond all shadow of a doubt that it is not my RAM, but here is what I am planning on doing (your plan basicly)

I am going to take out my harddrive, take it to a friends comp, run scandisk on my C drive. According to Microsoft and all the other sources I am reading this should fix the problem. First however I should change the name to ntfs.old and afterwards set it back to ntfs.sys

If all else fails, I can still use my friends comp to format the partition... thereby gaining control of my harddrive again >:-D

If that doesn't work I am taking my harddrive out behind the shed and hitting it repeatedly with a sledgehammer, then mail it to my supplier and tell them it blew up and I need a new one :p

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice