Win XP will not boot... but Safe Mode does work...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

htn

Very simple problem; my Win XP computer will get up to the Windows XP loading page (the black page with the blue bar moving in the middle), it then gets stuck for about 2/3 minutes and just restarts time and time over again.

I do NOT have a virus of any kind, I know this for sure as Safe Mode works and I took an antivirus scan - no virus at all, so I need some help here... what can I do?

<-- this is where my PC stops working.

htn

I can boot Win XP fine without any keyboard/mouse/network/sound wires... but in Safe Mode I can boot with all of those wires...

tony007

Banned
Have you tried clicking on last known good configuration when you get the menu for safe mode come up?

htn

Yes I have tried last known good config..

It's not even the USB that's the problem as I don't have any current USB connections, I only have a PS/2 Keyboard and a PS/2 Mouse connection to the computer, in safe mode they work, in normal mode I have to disconnect the PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard wires in order to boot the computer.

So what do I do now? I'll try Device Manager in Safe Mode..

htn

And there are no devices displayed in Device Manager when running Safe Mode... none at all.

htn

Okay the devices are showing now, but the mouse/keyboard still do not work in Normal mode.

When XP fully loads, all hardware I/O functions are passed off to the OS. In Safe mode, some basic functions are retained by the motherboard BIOS, XP handles others, and still others are not loaded at all.

It appears that you may have a driver issue. First, turn off the automatic restart. Boot to safe mode, right-click My Computer and select Properties, then click the Advanced tab. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings. Under System failure uncheck Automatically restart. OK your way back out, then reboot into normal mode. Have something handy to write on and write down any error messages you get, and post them here.

tony007

Banned
Doyou have an operating system cd, if so you could try a repair install you will not lose anything and a good driver may be reinstalled.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts