1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP Will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mrcobra, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Ok guys & Gals, I got an HP with win xp on it and I am having some troubles. It will NOT BOOT ! It gets to the "loading windows" screen and does absolutley "nothing". It shuts down and then goes to that screen again. Several hrs past and it just kept doing the same thing. Helpppppppppp

Cobra

2. Cookies

Cookies

Try booting from your CD. Pop it in and reboot. See if Windows loads.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

It never came with a cd.

4. mobo

mobo

Try restarting it and this time immediately start tapping the f8 key until a black screen with white lettering appears. Choose last known good configuration

5. Cookies

Cookies

Mobo, if he still can't boot from last good known config, he may still be able to recover using a Knoppix disk.

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Ok, I'll go back to sleep now :) The oranges I tell ya!

6. mobo

mobo

They are good disks to have Cookie but they are not very popular among windows users. I myself have red Hat , mandrake suse and knoppix...Just don't have enough time or energy to learn the stuff.

7. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

When I do the F8, it gets me to the screen with the option of restoring to last known good config, I choose that and the computer resarts again and then I get this error. "System is not fully installed, please run set up again" This is an endless cycle every time it tries to start up again.

I don't know anyting about these Knoppix disk and if they are safe to try out

Cobra

8. mobo

mobo

Do you have an xp cd ?

9. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

10. mobo

mobo

Try the preious route again and this time choose command prompt and type c:\windows\system\restore\rstui.exe to attempt a system restore from outside of windows.

11. tehon3299

tehon3299

The HP's do not come with a restore CD since they included an HP Restore Partition (dumbest thing HP has ever done!). We have seen a couple of these situations at work with the exact same message. Try using the command it shows you when you start up to reinstall windows and then use the restore option from there.

--Tehon

12. zack520

zack520

Yeah, you've got a big problem there!, try getting a copy of Win. XP from a buddy if you can!

13. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Problem solved: Bad HD

14. Cookies

Cookies

Ouch; glad you resolved it :)

15. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Cool. So was the restore partition burned aswell? If so then did you have to go out and repurchase xp?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice