1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win xp, win 7, crical 256 ssd install issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ligar, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ligar

ligar Thread Starter

Ok, I decided to try a dual boot win xp and windows 7. I formatted an Cruical 256 SSd along with 2 WD 500 mg sata drives. When I tried to install XP disk which was a Dell OEM version of Windows , I got a blue screen error saying "STOP 0V0000007b (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0X0000000,0x0000000

Windows 7 gets a far as the install screen. It shows all three drives having the same message." Setup is unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition See setup log files for more information

System board is an Asus P8Z77-V-LX Rev 1029.05
    16 gig of Cruical 1600
    on-board graphics currently being used
    uninstalled gtx 650 video card

ssd states Disk 0 partition 1
    sata drives 0,1 both say 465 unallocated space

All help and suggestions appreciated

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't use a Dell disc on a non-Dell system, not legally and not properly anyway as Dell sometimes modifies their discs slightly for use with their systems. You will need to purchase a new retail/OEM copy of Windows XP. But really, why? Windows XP isn't designed to handle any of the hardware in your system, it can only address 4GB of RAM, shouldn't be used on an SSD, has issues with SATA controllers. If your Windows 7 disc is a Dell or other manufacturer's disc you will need to purchase a legal copy of that too.

As for Windows 7, disconnect both of the 500 GB HDD's and make sure the SSD is connected to one of the two gray 6Gb/s ports. In the BIOS ensure that the SATA controller is either in AHCI or in RAID mode. Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and when you get to the screen where you can create/see the partitions you want to delete all the partition and make the drive completely blank and with no partitions. Now go and start the installation, Windows 7 will automatically create and format a new partition.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice