1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win xp won't boot but dos does,trying to save pics

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jersey_ernie, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jersey_ernie

jersey_ernie Thread Starter

i'm trying to help my son who managed to get his pc infected with the virus "xp antimalware 2010". after i googled this virus on my pc, i found a procedure to remove it. The fix was a registry change. I tried it and now windows wont start. I can get to a dos prompt and i did a dir and it shows his directories including his docs. At this point i would like to save his pics before doing a win xp reinstall. 1. could i copy his pics to a flash drive? 2. if so, how would i go about installing the flash drive(usb) without windows, using dos? 3. or is there a better way anyone can suggest?* Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It's must quicker and easier to take your son's hard disk out and slave it into your own or another computer, both to scan for and properly remove the malware, to repair the boot configuration and transfer the data to a safe place. Then, back in his own computer, he could perhaps use System Restore to correct his Registry changes. Another route to partial success in the above would be to install Linux on to his hard drive - that gives him access to his files but not the ability to fix the Windows system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice