Solved Win XP won't boot in dual boot with Win7

Kapustin Yar

Hey Gang,

I have an old desktop that still uses Win7 and WinXP. Hey, I like it for the size. It feels like a real computer. lol. Anyway. It is a dual boot system. Win7 is the default boot and Win XP is the secondary boot.

It worked fine awhile ago but today I fired it up and discovered that it didn't boot into XP. The snapshot below explains why. Any ideas on how to fix this?Peter's XP Problem.jpg

Kapustin Yar

Would the drive I'd be repairing be the Windows 7 drive (C) because it is the default boot and the drive with all the information on it, or the Windows XP drive (D) because it is the drive that won't boot?

I assume you are able to boot to Windows 7 OK but not Windows XP.

If so you seem to indicate there is a problem with the hal.dll file under Windows XP.

Looking the reference I mentioned you should be able to replace that file manually using "Fix #3: Replace hal.dll"

Step 6 assumes that Windows XP is on partition C:. If not you will need to change the partition letter in step 6 to that of the partition with Windows XP.

Step 6.
expand D:\i386\hal.dl_ X:\Windows\system32\

where
D is drive letter for CD with Windows XP
X is drive letter for Windows XP

If that does not make sense post back here

TerryNet

Terry
Would the drive I'd be repairing be the Windows 7 drive (C) because it is the default boot and the drive with all the information on it, or the Windows XP drive (D) because it is the drive that won't boot?
If you are booted into Windows 7 the partition with Windows 7 is designated "C drive."

If you are booted into XP the partition with XP is designated "C drive" (although it is possible to mess this up).

Without seeing how the partitions are positioned on the hard drive it is impossible to predict how the others are assigned "drive" letters. And even then the prediction may be incorrect.

Kapustin Yar

If you are booted into Windows 7 the partition with Windows 7 is designated "C drive."

If you are booted into XP the partition with XP is designated "C drive" (although it is possible to mess this up).

Without seeing how the partitions are positioned on the hard drive it is impossible to predict how the others are assigned "drive" letters. And even then the prediction may be incorrect.
I have a dual boot system with two distinct hard drives. One hard drive is solid state and my default boot. It is C and it has Win7 on it. The second hard drive is a Seagate 5400 and has my older system, WinXP on it. The designation is D drive.

I haven't had a chance to test the solution in Step 6 #3 that Mr Ed has given me because I have been looking all over for my original boot disks and haven't been able to find them. I bough new ones on Ebay and they just arrived today. I will try the solution Mr Ed gave me and I will get back to you. ty

Kapustin Yar

I assume you are able to boot to Windows 7 OK but not Windows XP.

If so you seem to indicate there is a problem with the hal.dll file under Windows XP.

Looking the reference I mentioned you should be able to replace that file manually using "Fix #3: Replace hal.dll"

Step 6 assumes that Windows XP is on partition C:. If not you will need to change the partition letter in step 6 to that of the partition with Windows XP.

Step 6.
expand D:\i386\hal.dl_ X:\Windows\system32\

where
D is drive letter for CD with Windows XP
X is drive letter for Windows XP

If that does not make sense post back here
Thanks, your instructions were clear. I lost my original installation disks and I have ordered new ones on Ebay. I have them now and I will try a repair tomorrow. ty.

Last edited:

Kapustin Yar

Thanks, your instructions were clear. I lost my original installation disks and I have ordered new ones on Ebay. I have them now and I will try a repair tomorrow. ty.
Hey Gang

Thanks for waiting. I tried a repair and I got stopped by an an "access denied" error. In this problem, F is the name of the drive where the XP installation CD is located. D is the name of the drive where XP is already installed. Remember this computer has two physical drives, Drives C and Drive D. C drive is where Win7 is and D is where WinXP is. The default boot is Win 7 or the C drive, D is the secondary boot where XP is located.

What's my next step?I didn't type an administrator password, all I did was click Enter. That is because I don't have an administrator password.

I am working with MR.Ed's instructions from the link he gave me above. I am using the info provided from the page called "Fix 3 Replace Hal.dll"

I appreciate all the help
winxpdualbootproblem2.jpg
Kappy:)

Last edited:

Kapustin Yar

Hey Gang

Thanks for waiting. I tried a repair and I got stopped by an an "access denied" error. In this problem, F is the name of the drive where the XP installation CD is located. D is the name of the drive where XP is already installed. Remember this computer has two physical drives, Drives C and Drive D. C drive is where Win7 is and D is where WinXP is. The default boot is Win 7 or the C drive, D is the secondary boot where XP is located.

What's my next step?I didn't type an administrator password, all I did was click Enter. That is because I don't have an administrator password.

I am working with MR.Ed's instructions from the link he gave me above. I am using the info provided from the page called "Fix 3 Replace Hal.dll"

I appreciate all the help
View attachment 278876
Kappy:)
Also, I made a Norton 15 backup of both drives. The problem is that they are both 18 months old. If I ran the Norton backup is there a way to restore only the boot files? If not, would I have to restore the C drive, the D drive or both? The reason I ask is because it will be a lot more work to preserve files I have written in the last 18 months on two disks than it would be for one. If I can get away with restoring one drive instead of two I would prefer it.

I have also ran chkdsk and SFC /snannnow with no results.

texasbullet

Ramon
Why not make first Windows XP or W7 in c drive and when done change HDD and install the other OS version in it. When done just swap the HDD to use the OS you want to use (just a thought).

Why not make first Windows XP or W7 in c drive and when done change HDD and install the other OS version in it. When done just swap the HDD to use the OS you want to use (just a thought).
That is doing things the really hard way. Dual boot is not hard if you know how o set it up.

I use a program called EasyBCD which free for personal use.

EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

I am not sure what the current state of the OPs computer is here is one example
Drive 1: Windows 7
Drive 2: Windows XP

Problem: When Windows XP tries to boot there is an error.
Solution 1: Possibly a simple but time consuming solution that would be not for a beginner
Solution 2: Reinstall Windows XP on Drive 2 and use EasyBCD to reconfigure dual-boot

If Windows XP is installed first followed by Windows 7 then Windows 7 is smart enough to set up dual-boot for you.

If Windows 7 is installed first followed by Windows XP then Windows XP is not smart enough to set up dual-boot for you. That is why you need something like EasyBCD to manually set up dual boot.

Kapustin Yar

That is doing things the really hard way. Dual boot is not hard if you know how o set it up.

EasyBCD

Solution 1: Possibly a simple but time consuming solution that would be not for a beginner
Solution 2: Reinstall Windows XP on Drive 2 and use EasyBCD to reconfigure dual-boot

If Windows XP is installed first followed by Windows 7 then Windows 7 is smart enough to set up dual-boot for you.

If Windows 7 is installed first followed by Windows XP then Windows XP is not smart enough to set up dual-boot for you. That is why you need something like EasyBCD to manually set up dual boot.
Okay, I will try easy bcd. BTW I tried doing a Norton Ghost on the XP drive and no joy. That means that whatever the problem is, it has to do with the C drive. because when I made the XP backup it worked fine.

Kapustin Yar

I tried making XP the default boot and Win7 the secondary boot by reversing the boot order in the bios. I just got a black screen. I kept it for about 5 minutes and then went back to the way I had it. Should I have waited more than 5 minutes? Should I try it again and wait two hours?

texasbullet

Ramon

EasyBCD

I used to do this before. I partitioned my HDD in half and first installed XP and when completed installed W7 on the second partition. I then installed the easybcd and then made the modifications. I had to do a repair on XP to make it back to work. I cannot remember very well on the steps since it has been quite some time I have not done it. Whenever I restarted my computer or turned it on I just selected which OS I wanted to use.
With Windows 10 you don't need the easybcd installed. you can have W10 and W7 or XP.

I used to do this before. I partitioned my HDD in half and first installed XP and when completed installed W7 on the second partition. I then installed the easybcd and then made the modifications. I had to do a repair on XP to make it back to work. I cannot remember very well on the steps since it has been quite some time I have not done it. Whenever I restarted my computer or turned it on I just selected which OS I wanted to use.
With Windows 10 you don't need the easybcd installed. you can have W10 and W7 or XP.
The windows boot for 95, 98, XP are all compatible. I believe that starting with Vista the windows boot process was changed. The boot for W7 or W10 can coexist with XP only if the boot is modified to handle it. The boot for XP can not be made to work with W7 or W10. To make this work you have to overwrite its boot with one that is compatible with W7 or W10.

If you install XP first and then W7 or W10 then the boot menu will be set up for you by Windows.

If you install W7 or W10 first and then XP then I needed to test this to verify what would happen...

I already have both Windows 7 and 10 installed on my PC. I did a test install of XP on a free partition.

After I installed XP only it would boot. I booted with a Windows 10 setup DVD and ran boot problem repair. Now Windows 7 and 10 were both on the boot menu but not XP.

I ran EasyBCD and added XP to the boot menu. Now W10, W7, XP were all on the boot menu.

BTW, because of a hardware conflict Windows XP setup could not be completed.. If I would have taken the time to remove some of the optional components then the install might have completed. It was at least booting to XP. That is all that matters for this test.

If I selected XP from the windows boot menu it would try to continue the XP setup. During driver installation it would always crash. That is why I think there may be incompatible hardware in the PC.

Note the Gigabyte motherboard does support XP so that was not the problem.

Disk Management. There are three hard drives.
W10 was on NDC (C: ), XP was on NDG (G: ), and W7 was on ODC (K: )
DiskManagement.jpg

EasyBCD showing entries for W10, W7, and XP
EasyBCD.jpg

Final Windows Boot Menu
WindowsBootManager.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online