1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP wont load because of corrupted file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dp2003, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dp2003

dp2003 Thread Starter

I cant get windows XP to load at all :confused:

Here's the problem......... On boot up I get a black screen and then a error message saying <WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPTED < WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\ ntoskrnl.exe> please re-install a copy of the above file.

Windows wont load so I can not use system restore or even go into safe mode.
    How can I get around windows and get this file " NTOSKRNL.EXE" into system32 folder without windows being able to load ???

Also I have a HP computer which did not come with a windows XP CD. XP is hidden on a partition on the hard drive.
    So that kind of leaves out being able to use the CD to repair windows and using the Repair "R" key during bootup.:mad:

So how can I get into windows long enough to be able to repair the NTOSKRNL.EXE file ??
    Any and all suggestions would be so much appreciated !!!!

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Its not totally clear from your posting but I presume the HP computer is another than the one which wont start?. If so, why not boot up the HP and copy the file onto a bootable floppy and then boot the bad computer with the floppy and copy the file across. Alternatively, you should be able to get into safe mode (F8 on start sequence) and copy from the floppy to the System 32 directory.

3. dp2003

dp2003 Thread Starter

sorry for the confusion,

The computer thats giving me fits is the HP.
    Safe mode doesnt work because this ntoskrnl.exe file keeps even safe mode from loading.
    Im not sure how to make a boot disk that loads just the file needed for the HP.
    any ideas??

The F10 format key works, but unfortunately It wont let me do a partial format.
    only a full. And I need to save some files before doing a full reformat.

is there a way to use DOS to get the file ntskrnl.exe into the HP?

I am stumped and just about ready to throw the computer out the window ! lol
    and in advance ,thanks for the reply!

4. RayG

RayG

Four possible solutions immediately come to mind, none of which are probably readily available to you.

1. Call the HP support center and ask them to send you a recovery CD. 1-800-474-6836
    2. Somehow get your hands on a copy of a Knoppix live CD so you can rescue files before doing full format.
    3. Remove uncooperative hard drive and hook it up as slave drive in another system. Copy files as necessary, then format.
    4. Borrow a WinXP CD for repair purposes.

RayG

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think your HP will recover without losing any files or data...call HP tech support and ask that question and then you boot into an F key to do it. Your problem is messed up mbr I believe and a boot to an XP recovery console and "fixboot" and then "fixmbr" would also fix it if you can borrow a cd.

6. dp2003

dp2003 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and I will try some of these suggestions, and let you all know what worked or didnt .

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great and please keep us posted on your progress

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice