Win XP Workgroup problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blake05

I am trying to setup a workgroup between 2 computers in my house that are connected through a router. In the workgroup only one computer (computer 2) shows up. Computer 2 shows up in the workgroup on both computer 1 and computer 2. Computer 1 will not show up in the workgroup on either computer. Both computers are running Win XP SP2 with Norton Internet Security 2006. Does anyone know how I can correct this? Thanks!

TerryNet

Terry
To begin with make sure Norton Internet Security 2006 is uninstalled or properly configured on each machine, especially on Computer 1.

When you have taken care of that, can you successfully ping each computer from the other by IP address? By Computer Name?

Blake05

Both computers are able to ping each other and the ip address of each computer is on the allow list for the Norton Firewall. I tried disabling both the Windows firewall and the Norton firewall but that still did not fix it.

TerryNet

Terry
On Computer 2:
Start - Run - \\Computer1 - OK (where Computer1 is the name or IP address of Computer 1).

After about a minute we're hoping you'll get an explorer window showing that computer's shares. But if you get an error message, what exactly is it?

I won't be back online until tonight (8 or 9 hours from now) or tomorrow, but somebody else will probably pick up with ideas.

Blake05

Thanks for the help. When I do type in \\computer1 - OK on computer 2 it says "network path cannot be found". When I do that on computer 1 it shows me the shared files on computer 2.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online