1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by m00ch, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m00ch

m00ch Thread Starter

I have been using this site for sometime and have always gotten great advice, I recently purchased a new pc and am having no real problems except this... I keep getting these pop up type boxes that are text only every few seconds they say messenger service at the top and are usually some type of advertisement I'm sure its some kind of ad ware I have ran AdAware6 multiple times but itsstill there . I have been using win 98 for the last 4 years so I'm having a little trouble finding things in the xp version to even get in there and try to find it myself, when I type in msconfig and go to the startup tab there is about 40 items in there and I don't know what is important and what isnt... can anyone help????

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

3. m00ch

m00ch Thread Starter

thx very much so far so good.....

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I don't recommend turning off messenger, since it has some legitimate functions. If you configure your firewall (you do have a firewall, right?) to block ports 135, 137-139, and 445, you'll block these popup ads.

What these ads are telling you is you don't have proper firewall protection, consider them a wake-up call! :rolleyes: You're treating the symptom, not the desease by turning off messenger.

5. m00ch

m00ch Thread Starter

I do not have a firewall installed guess I need to get one huh?
    thx for the input everyone

6. steamwiz

steamwiz

7. Dan O

Dan O

XP has a built-in firewall.

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall
    Open Network Connections:

Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:

To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

But it will not block the ports mentioned by Johnwill.

I personally disable the Messenger service:

In Control Panel using Classic, double-click Services.
    Select the Messenger service.
    Click Stop.

-or-

Run the following at the command prompt:

net stop messenger

8. steamwiz

steamwiz

I believe the XP firewall doesn't block outgoing traffic either

Best to disable and get a decent firewall

steam

9. m00ch

m00ch Thread Starter

Thanx again, you guys are always so helpful. I'll just go buy a firewall , any recommendations on a good one, before I bought my new pc I was running Mcafee personal firewall but it interfered with my cable connection and they told me to disable it... hate to get back into all that it was a pain ...

10. Dan O

Dan O

I had the same problem with McAfee and I switched to ZoneAlarm, which is one of the best, see: http://www.zonelabs.com/

11. steamwiz

steamwiz

No need to buy a firewall

check post #6 above

steam

12. m00ch

m00ch Thread Starter

one more quick one, can you guys tell me what all these "processes are in my startup they were mostly in there when I bought the pc and it says 32 "processes are running?? is this necessary?

13. steamwiz

steamwiz

No you definately don't need all those and they will be using up system resources and slowing down your computer

If you post your startup list we should be able to help you

Please post your startup list by doing the following :-

Please go here and download startuplist 1.51 :-

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Download to any folder or your desktop
    Unzip the zipfile
    Double click the exe file
    go to Edit - select all - copy - and paste the results in a new post here

steam

14. Dan O

Dan O

You can get the same information by running MSINFO32, which comes with Windows. Use the Edit Select and Copy to post what information is needed.

Personally, Startuplist provides is too much to review and interpret.

15. steamwiz

steamwiz

Why Dan O you spoilsport - I love looking at startup lists :D

steam

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice