1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win zip, anything better?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by s43, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. s43

s43 Thread Starter

Is there something, which is better then Win zip? I have put a web link up and then it goes to win zip to download the file but it takes ages, is there anything better?

2. dobhar

dobhar

3. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

4. Deke40

Deke40

I highly recommend FreeZip but be sure and read this warning from their link:

NOTE: "FreeZip" (without exclamation point) has been available since 1997 and is different from the recently launched NewMedia/Braxio "FreeZip!" and in no way associated with the program. Unlike that product, FreeZip does not involve any of the "Spyware".

You can also download the encription patch and the SFX patch which will create a self extracting .exe file.

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

6. sherwood1947

sherwood1947

Byteman, This is sherwood1947 and you helped me in Aug. and I would like to find out information about laptops and routers. Remember I am the old lady that is new to computers. I don't even know if this will find you. I put you on my buddy list. Thanks sherwood1947
    PS I might not be online until later.

7. sherwood1947

sherwood1947

:confused: :confused: I have a windows 98 hp desktop and I would like to get a laptop with a router but I have no idea how to get started. I play games on my desktop and would like to play games in other rooms if thats possible. But if I buy a laptop it will have Windows XP, so will I be able to do this? I have cable hookup now. I don't know what other information you need. Sherwood1947

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

hi sherwood1947> it reached me!

You apparently would need a wireless setup and it would be best if you posted the entire post over in Networking forum, OK?

http://forums.techguy.org/f53-s.html

That is the spot for help of this kind. I use a router but totally wired Ethernet type....and I do not have XP. I do know that there may be some steps you might have to take to get XP to work well with 98. People in Networking deal with this all the time, so go there and post your same exact question. good luck,too. Nice to "hear" from you.
    Was wondering if you got some help about the email problem- you kind of left us hanging> it is always a good idea to post back to your thread, and let us know if you fixed anything...

By the way, your thread about the email forwarding problem is here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=262508

You can always find your previous posts when you get to TSG> just click on the "user CPL" button, that should show you your subscribed threads...Or, click on your user name link> that will open your profile, and you can find all your posts by looking down on the left "Show all posts by sherwood1947"

9. s43

s43 Thread Starter

Which one from the above compresses files which has been compressed by win zip 9.0(i think) then uploaded to an web site and then that takes 11hrs to download on a 56k. Does any of the above do better then that in terms on compression and download time :rolleyes:

10. quartz121984

quartz121984

try Win Ace

11. hewee

hewee

12. s43

s43 Thread Starter

the link is?

13. s43

s43 Thread Starter

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice