1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win10 boot folder and program files disappeared

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Cw0024, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cw0024

Cw0024 Thread Starter

I did a clean install of Windows 10 on my new SSD for my Lenovo laptop like 4 months ago. And Windows 10 was working fine until I boot up my old Windows 8 that was still on my HDD. Then when I want to boot Win10 up it failed, and I find that all files and folder like Windows, Program Files, Users, etc. went missing on my Win10 SSD (only log files remained), but I know they are there because there is around 40GB of data used up on the SSD, while only 7GB showing.

At first I used just sfc /scannow on another laptop to fix it, and my files and folder reappeared. When I thought I fixed it and plugged it back to boot it, the same thing happened again, all the important folders disappeared. Again, I ran cmd as admin, but when I tried

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

It says, Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. Ever since then I can't fix it using sfc /scannow.

I also tried checkdisk and defragment tool, but it does nothing significant. Then, I used Recuva to recover data, but no relevant data shows up. However, I do notice the path of the files that Recuva recovered is of the form "D:\?\...".

So, I suspect that when I boot up my Win8 it triggered something in the Bios, and did something (maybe hide partitions?) on my SSD. Or did Win10 locks and hid my files and folders so that no one can access it? Does anyone know how to fix this kind of problem or encountered this before?

I desperately need help. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice