1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Win10 restart flaky, very, very slow

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pcguy9441, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I have restart problem on Win10 Pro latest rev (SSD for “C”, 3.8G 4670K i5, 3T of asstd. hard drives. No overclock). Problem started a couple months ago and I fixed it by restoring an image backup from March, but there has to be a better way. It keeps coming back. This time it appears I broke it by toggling the power setting for “fast startup”. Turned off to experiment, then back on.

A restart can take 15-20min, maybe even 30min and with no apps running prior. A full shutdown goes fast and PC is up in 45sec. Once logged in, all is stable, everything works. When the restart is slow, it hangs at each stage with the normal screen content displayed with no mouse control, nor does ctrl-alt-del work. It’s frozen. I can force a restart from front panel reset button, but the hang repeats. If I force a hard shutdown from main “on” button when it’s stalled, it comes up fast per normal. During previous flakiness (before past image restores) the restart would flake even during the shutdown process. Totally flaky. At one point it seemed stable in other accounts suggesting a corrupt user profile (saw this in very early Win10 days), but not sure of that now as one of those accounts hangs too. Something in the OS is corrupt and I don’t want to go back to yet an older image and loose desktop, email and other settings, nor create a new userID (if that even would work) and go to the effort to move all my stuff over (email, desktop, etc…) to the new user name.

The thing is, the current Mar 1 image restoration was very stable for a couple weeks until I rocked the boat messing with the bleepin “fast startup” toggle. Should have left well enough alone. But still, the OS should not be that fragile.

Any suggestions on a repair? Are others seeing this? Win10 version is whatever the latest auto update provides. it's on auto set and forget mode.

Edit: forgot to add, it restarts fine in Safe Mode. Normal speed.

Thanks.

PS: a restart does not care if the internet is up, does it? Seems improbable. Internet has been flaky too lately, and I have to reboot the modem/router daily to get speed back above a couple hundred K bps. But…what if I had a virus that was trying to phone home? I run MBAM Pro on auto daily and use Win Defender for its small footprint. Have never had a known hit in the 2-3 years of this regimen.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    You can try doing a repair install.

Try running command prompt (as administrator) and typing sfc /scannow , first, though.

3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Please start with the following steps

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions. If this doesnt show anything then we will perform a boot trace for analysis.

Step 1:
    Speccy
    Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
    2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
    3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:
    Click on Start menu
    Type command to start searching
    Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
    Copy
    and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

2. (Windows 8 or higher)
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
    Copy and Paste the following command, and press ENTER:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
    This will copy sfcdetails.txt to your desktop
    Upload sfcdetails.txt file

Step 3:
    Download Process Explorer to your desktop
    1. Right Click on the procexp64.exe or procexp.exe and Select Run As Administrator
    2. In the View menu click on Select Columns
    3. Check Verified Signer, Virus Total on Process Image Tab
    4. Select the Process I/O tab and check Reads, Rights and click OK
    5. Select Options Menu and Check Verify ImageSignatures, VirusTotal.com > Check Virustotal.com
    6. Double Click on the CPU Column to sort by highest CPU usage.
    7. (Highest CPU Processes should be at the top once sorted properly)
    8. Wait approximately a minute
    9. Select Save or Save As from the File menu
    10. Save SystemIdleProcess.txt to Desktop
    11. Upload file to your reply

Step 4:
    Download the enclosed diag.txt file to your desktop
    Rename the file to diag.bat
    Double click on the file to Run
    Once it is finished it will create a SystemDiagnostics folder on your desktop
    Compress the folder to a .zip file
    Upload to your reply

Attached Files:

• Diag.txt
      File size:
      790 bytes
      Views:
  4. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply, will do. 1st run of sfc /scannow found nothing.

5. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Excellent. If you want to try dckeks advice and run command prompt (as administrator) the command : dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

you can do that. Or you can do the repair install, like in the video. Both produce similiar results, although, if you do the repair install (in the video) , you will have the latest upgrade (1803 version) of Windows 10 when you get done.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  6. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thanks for replies. Still slogging thru the long procedure. So far, no failures found but not done. Please stay tuned.

Something I should add: I have a Patriot Blaze 240G SSD for the "C" drive. I did not (re)partition it at install time, but before this all happened it somehow had 2 small partitions at the end, each 4-500megs in size. One formatted but no drive letter so I could not explore it, and the other space unallocated. I do not know what these were for nor where they came from, maybe part of original config from Patriot or resulting from multiple OS image reinstalls. Dunno. Anyway a few wks ago when the OS was stable (I think) I nuked them both to fully max out space on the drive for the OS. I know, risky business, but I had a "C" image backup. I use EaseUS Partition Master. The system booted normally with no apparent OS damage at that time. Is it possible the invisible but formatted partition with no drive letter was there for boot or recovery or some drive housekeeping purpose? Maybe a store to swap-out bad "sectors"? In googling, I can find nothing that explains basic SSD structure or architecture at this level. Wanted to mention this before I go any farther down the rabbit hole.

Note .speecy file attached. Do not get the 113deg mobo temp. All fans running, nothing hot to the touch. Is it real? Flaky sensor? Have never seen a Prime95 fail in max heat mode at stock clock setting.

PS: Paul23, I will heed your advice with the repair install at end if/when no smoking gun found with the other stuff. Ran out of time last night at Step 3 - Process Explorer (all pass to that point) and now have to stop for some yard work. Will resume this later today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  7. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    I have had the same result on some of my C: drives before, of having two system reserved partitions. How I get rid of them is using powershell. If you enter these commands, it will completely erase the hard drive. I use this method every time I want to erase a hard drive.
    1. Get-Disk

2. Get-Disk 0 | Clear-Disk -RemoveData (Disk 0 in this case is C: drive, your number might be different)

3. Initialize-Disk 0 (enter your drive number)

4. New-Partition -DiskNumber 0 -UseMaximumSize | Format-Volume -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel Archive

5. Get-Partition -DiskNumber 0 | Set-Partition -NewDriveLetter Z (Z is my choice for drive letters. You can choose any letter in the alphabet that is not being used)

8. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Here's what I plan to do before continuing with the diag effort people have prescribed above.

1. image backup of C to grab latest email, desktop and other stuff changed since last restore a week ago.
    2. restore an image from Feb that CONTAINS THE MISSING SYSTEM RESERVED PARTITION (abt 500meg). 2 partitions in that particular backup. This should recreate a functional SRP (which I just learned about here).
    3. restore the image in #1 being careful to make it shrink itself to fit. Hope there's a setting for that, maybe automatic.
    4. test restart for stability

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    The motherboard temperature doesn’t seeem right. I am assuming that speccy is off. The best check is using your bios, but I don’t believe yours shows that information. You can download and install the Asus AI Suite.

Since you have an image backup of all your important files then I would recommend performing a clean install for best results but it is your choice how you want to proceed.

Paul23 likes this.
  10. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    I notice in your speccy report that you have "hibernation" enabled, also power scheme is at default (balanced). I would suggest that you disable hibernation, and set your power scheme to "high performance" , change your turn off monitor after 20 mins to "never" . These settings are not good for an SSD, that you are currently running.

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    This is usually bad advice. It is better to leave it as balanced plan for most uses. However, turning off hibernation is fine and something I usually recommend as well.

12. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback and I did not intend to have hibernation enabled. Never use it. Will take a look.
    startup stuff.JPG
    In the meantime, I think I am now "good" after reloading an image from late Jan that-so far- is stable, and it restored the mystery SRP partition at the end of (C). I can restart all I want (5 times) and it comes right back within 60sec. Something was definitely corrupted and some "fixes" I googled did no good. One was a regedit. At one point it seemed it was just my main user profile, but I was finally able to get a couple other user accts (admin and guest) to flake and stall on restart. 30min+ was typical and it was often after the pin/password. My gray screen background would appear absent any icons and just sit there for near 30min, then over 5 min gradually populate.

So, even though I am out of the woods (knock on wood), I would appreciate any feedback from my attachments, especially the "startup stuff" to see if there are any red flags. None of the diag stuff yielded anything could see, but I can not interpret the dism.log. There were some errors in it, but don't know if they matter.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

13. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    By the way...most people on the forum don't like to save files to their computers off links provided. It is better to use the snipping tool and take a snip of the data or copy and paste it directly to the thread you are in.

14. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Copy that. Next time.

Thanks again, 3 days and counting and all stable after the Jan image restore. I closed the ticket.

Let me know if this could be a problem: In early April (tax time) when restart/shutdown problems started, I had installed 5 back years of TurboTax at the same time (all went in glitch-free and ran, no problem) along with many removals of some crap apps I did not want and did not recall installing. Wonder if I overworked the Registry and got something corrupted?

PS: have just learned my Asus motherboard does not have a temp sensor for the board itself explaining the crazy high readings in Speecy, and the Asus AI Suite III too! Others with the same board report the same thing. I've checked fans and cooling and all is fine.

15. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    No prob, on that. Open up command prompt (as administator) ... type cmd in the search box, wait until the blue box lights up above it that says "Command Prompt" type : sfc /scannow (hit enter) this is the system file checker utility, it will find and try to repair damaged system files. Registry is not normally a problem with Windows 10 , unless you manually change the wrong setting or a program does. If that doesn't work, you can do a repair install. Like I sent you a video of, above.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice