Status
Not open for further replies.

Win10- "Unable to detect recorders (error 452)"

Solved 
7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8065 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (420 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3397
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated​

Purchased a refurbished HP desktop [stats above]. Updated everything including newest update to Win 10.
I had an ISO I needed to burn to DVD so right clicked on ISO & chose "Burn To Disk". After a few seconds the machine indicated:
Unable to detect recorders (error 452)

Thinking it might be a DVD/CD drive- I played a CD & looked at a few photos on a DVD--- all went well.

Decided it might be the built-in burn routine- so looked for a recommended burning program, installed one recommended by Gizmo [free]-- BurnAware Free. Tried to burn some photos to DVD and, after a few seconds received a similar message:
Unable to detect recorders (error 452)
Please run the program as administrator.

I right clicked on program icon and selected Run As Administrator & same results. Then tried to burn the previously mentioned ISO and the same message.
I was hoping that someone might tell me I overlooked something obvious-- that it might be fixable. Your help would be appreciated.
letchworth

See less See more
#2 ·
Thinking it might be a DVD/CD drive- I played a CD & looked at a few photos on a DVD--- all went well.
Just because an optical drive can read CDs and DVDs, it does not mean it can burn CDs and/or DVDs. Are there any labels or markings on the front of the drive that include "CD" and/or "DVD"?

#3 ·
Never heard of such a thing----- but you're right---- the front of the drive says, "DVD multi-player".

Can I just swap in a new IDE CD/DVD recorder [on my shelf]? I've done lots with older XP desktops, but first time with Win-10. I'm assuming there is a IDE connection available- or should I just buy a SATA?
Thank you for your response
letchworth

#4 ·
What's the model name and model number(M/N) of your HP desktop?
What's the product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on it?

If you're going to replace the disc drive in it, you should select a SATA model instead of an IDE model.
Besides being newer technology, you don't have to deal with master/slave jumper settings.
A quality disc drive that burns CD's and DVD's can be purchased for $25 - $30.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
flavallee & cwwozniak thank you so much for your responses.
cwwozniak- I will check out the internals of the desktop in the morning- but good point, thank you.
flavalee- machine identified as HP Elite 8300 SFF
Product # is: C1G58UP#ABA
Serial number: I am sending as a pm
Again, thank you, both
letchworth

#7 ·
HERE is the support site for the HP Compaq Elite 8300 Small Form Factor PC.
It's a several years old model and originally came with a version of Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit.

It appears it originally came with a HP-branded disc writer drive, but I can't confirm that.
And because you purchased it refurbished, some of its original hardware may have been replaced or upgraded.

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives heading.
What's the exact description of the disc drive listed there?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
I should have done that first- but thought ROMs were a thing of the past.
device manager lists it as: hp DVD-ROM SH-116AB

Side question: On this forum- how do I send a PM? I found what is called a "Conversation" & thought that was an expanded version of a PM--- but it looks like anyone can read those as well. How do I delete the one I created to send you the information you requested-- no longer needed.
Thank you
letchworth

#9 ·
Both the product and serial numbers that you submitted to me came back "not found" at the HP support site, so you may have copied them incorrectly.
There's nothing wrong anyway with submitting those numbers here because they don't divulge any personal or sensitive information.
We ask for them all the time so we can try to confirm the identity of a HP/Compaq computer.

The HP SH-111AB appears to be a DVD-ROM disc drive.
It can play CD's and DVD's, but it does not have any disc burning capability.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
flavallee,
Here is a photo of the labels-- please note there is a second label which indicates a different Serial Number [not sure what that is about, but it may explain why you couldn't find the info in the database]. The label confirms that it originally came with Win-7

I think I may leave the ROM installed and buy an external DVD/CD burner. The external may be a bit slower, but for the occasional burn it should work for me and ROM can be used for the occasional software install & CD playing.

Thank you for your help in resolving this one-- I will mark it solved
letchworth
Font Parallel Electric blue Label Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.