Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win10 upgrade gives sound echo/reverb

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Nick-Roger 
#1 ·
Three days ago my Windows 7 computer upgraded itself (without my permission) to Windows 10. Mostly this hasn't mattered as I've quickly found how to fix or do things that have altered. However my sound system is now unusable because of echo/reverberation. I have checked that all drivers for the sound components are up to date (the Win10 install did this automatically it seems from the dates shown). I have attached screen-grab images of the System and Sound components descriptions. I would appreciate help on how to fix this.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
In order to help you, you need to post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact video card, exact pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.

#5 · (Edited)
OK, the very first thing I see is that win10 is not a supported os. Here is the download page for that board. As you can see, the newest supported os is win7;
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/34684/Intel-Desktop-Board-DG45ID
This in and of itself does not mean it will not work. It means it was never tested and found to work AND the mfg does not want to put the time and effort into writing drivers and testing the board for win10. This board is now more than 5yrs old so I doubt anyone is going to write drivers for you.

I did find one solution that might work. This is from a microsoft forum. Do the following;
1. Open device mgr. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC on Device Manager.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click Update Driver... button.

4. Select -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pickup a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select High Definition Audio Device (Not IDT High Def... this is important.) and click Next.

Appears Warning message, but reply Yes.

7. ! Windows has successfully update your driver software.

Again, no guarantees however it is worth a shot.

You do understand that you can roll back to win7 as long as you do it within 30 days of the win10 install/update. This might be your best option along with stopping the win10 install. Here is how to stop win10 from installing;
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

#6 ·
Thanks for looking into this CRJ. I have tried the driver update as you suggested but it's made no difference unfortunately. Any more ideas are welcome.

My computer is now more than 7 years old but it was quite powerful at the time and still serves me well for what I do. Although I had no intention of upgrading to Win 10 until at least July I am generally content with it so far and am reluctant to roll back for support reasons (though no doubt my PC will have expired before Win 7 support ends) and because it feels a little fresher.

So far I found only one other problem in Win 10, Eraser doesn't integrate into the Recycle box but I'll see if I can get it to do so (or use PrivaZer which does work). It has cleared an annoying problem that arose in my Win 7 whereby Windows Explorer had got confused about folders (folder contents displaying within its subfolders) and couldn't remember the view I wanted (Order contents by name).

Sound is an important issue, especially when I Skype my family in Australia (from England) but I have other devices I can use (laptop and my wife's iPad) so will continue for now, though I would love to fix this problem. Maybe I'll buy or build another desktop to run alongside this one.

#10 ·
That camera is now 8+yrs old so no it is not going to be supported on a new os. Cameras are pretty cheap and it would not be worth time and or money to get it working. I checked and a new camera with much higher res AND win10 support was $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.