1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Win10 + VPN software going through router then router/modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Everway9, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Hi everyone. (y)

I'd like to ask for some security advice please regarding VPN router pass-through.

My Windows 10 (1809) PC has Private Internet Access' VPN software installed which I have running 90% of the time.

My PC is connected via Ethernet to a TP-Link (Archer C2 v3) router which is then connected by via Ethernet to a BT Home Hub 4 (Type A) which I'm using as a DSL modem.

The VPN pass-through settings are enabled on the TP-Link Archer C2. I can't find any VPN related setting(s) on the Home Hub 4 but apparently it does support it.

Ever since I've had this setup I've (very dangerously) assumed that the router to router (modem) part of my setup isn't compromising the security of my VPN connection and I've never actually made any attempts to find out for sure. :eek:

If anyone can help that'd be great.

Many thanks in advance,

Drew. :)

StevenBrown likes this.
  2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If your VPN is working, your IP Address should be different than without it.

You can check your IP Address here: https://www.whatismyip.com/

Everway9 and StevenBrown like this.
  3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If your VPN connection is up and running properly, there is nothing more you need to do. All the VPN pass through does is enable NAT-T (NAT traversal). What NAT-T does is help with establishing the VPN session when the remote client is sitting behind a NATing device.

Everway9 likes this.
  4. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Hi @SpywareDr & @zx10guy :)

Thank you very much for posting.

Yes. My IP is different when I check it. That's reassuring

Thanks again and sorry for the late reply. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice