1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Win10 won't boot-ntldr missing

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pcguy9441, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

First my question, then how I got here. I have an extra 500G drive in my main "working fine" PC (Win10 64bit) that will not boot. It's also Win10 64-the one that won't boot on it's native machine in the garage. It recently got the MS Apr 2018 upgrade over a virgin Win10 install and was running fine. I want to do a Win10 repair on it while mounted on my main (good) PC including NTLDR and maybe the boot block. I don't really know what's screwed up beyond the constant "missing NTLDR" errors. However, I thought I read that Win10 does not use/have NTLDR. This drive was an XP system back in the day, so maybe an artifact of that.

I'm hoping to do this on my main PC since I have total control from the keyboard and windows. My keyboards (2) are SIIG USB ultra-compact and for some reason on 10 yr old garage Gigabyte machine I have no keyboard control when trying to boot from CD. This means when it says "hit any key to boot from CD" it does not work because it does not see the keyboard. Yet when booting to the Gigabyte motherboard BIOS system the keyboard works fine. Tried both keyboards. I even used one of those USB to PS/2 adapters and still does not see keyboard. See images below for what I get but cannot respond to.

So, again, how can I run a Win10 repair op and direct it to a mounted drive THAT IS NOT THE ONE I'm booted from? BTW, I have no Win10 install disks. Only ISO disks as all installs were downloads.

I did just make a Windows repair disk, but like all my "bootable" repair disks it won't load on the garage system. Have not tried it on main machine yet and do not want to risk breaking my working system.

My plan "B" is to drop a known good backup "C" image of my current working system on the drive that won't boot. But then I have the risk of the mismatched motherboard drivers, etc. Current system is Asus, garage is Gigabyte. Although in years past this has worked with Win 7 or XP, forget.

Thank you.

None of this works since USB kybd not recognized.
    IMG_5004.JPG IMG_5005.JPG

2. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Some progress.

Fixed "keyboard not working" by setting BIOS to recognize legacy USB. Did not know about that setting.

Got flaky drive to boot on my main PC with a tip from "EASE US Partition Master" tech support. Said to delete a file from Windows at root level and that got it to boot in dual boot mode on main PC with EasyBCD. That file was left over from a failed attempt to make a partition change on the old machine (where this disk calls home).

Now still fiddling. Next I'll remove the "bad" now semi-good disk from EasyBCD in case that wrote anything in the drive boot area.

3. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I ended up reinstalling Win10. Cycled thru several "repair disks", none would restore the system. Just a garage backup system anyway, so nothing lost.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice