win200 pro problems (plug and play, sound card)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nmm

i recently installed win2000 pro on my computer in addition to still having win98 2nd edition on it. the reason for this was because win98 was causing problems for me. now i find that win2000 is giving me two problems. one is that plug and play doesn't recognize my usb peripherals (CanoScan N1220U scanner,intel web camera, logitech ifeel mouseman), so i can't install them in win2000. For example, the mouse has a light in it and that lights up when plugged into the usb port, so it has power, but win 2000 doesn't see it as new hardware. the second problem is that my fortemedia 801 sound card doesn't work, and i can't find a driver for it anyway. any ideas how to fix these two problems?

As for the sound card, you might be SOL. I had a similar problem with both a sound card and a flatbed scanner. Neither had Win2k drivers available. I got rid of them both. :(

As for the USB devices; does Windows not see the devices at all or is it just not installing drivers for them? Go into Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager--do you see the devices listed anywhere, possibly with little yellow exclamation marks next to them? If you see the devices listed and they have little yellow exclamation marks next to them, that means that Windows sees them but can't install them because they don't have the correct drivers. If that's what's going on, go get the correct drivers (off the vendor's website or off the software that came with the hardware). Individually double-click on each device, go to Driver, and reinstall the drivers for each device.

That may be what's happening to you. I'm running Win2k and something similar happened to me a while back. Windows saw a device I installed but didn't have a driver for it, so it didn't do anything with the device at all...just kind of left it there for me to handle :rolleyes:

Hope you get it to work.

You do realize that you might have to load the driver for the device that you are attempting to connect. Go to there website and see if you are able to download the drivers for it.

nmm

thanks for both of the replies.

as for the soundcard, yes, it has had the yellow ? next to it, but i've gone to the fortmedia website and they don't have any drivers to download (says i have to go to the board manufacturer's site, which, unfortunately i don't know who that is).

as for the usb controllers--no yello ?'s there, everything seems to work from the usb part, i just have no plug and play in win2000. i even opened my computer and took out and put back the usb card to see if the computer would recognize that--still nothing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online