1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN2000 and adsl problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shadowhawk47, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shadowhawk47

shadowhawk47 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have been trying to setup a WIN2000 PC on my ADSL connection without success.

I have gone thru the troubleshouting with the tech support guy for my ISP but he was unable to resolve the issue.

I have a win98 machine running ICS. When I connect the WIN2000 PC to it (win98 /ICS) everything works fine. (I'm using the win2000 PC now) However, when I bypass the win98 pc and connect directly to the ADSL modem (Comtrend 300) it will not find the internet connection. I tried to release and renew the ip address on the win2000 pc with no luck. I have uninstalled the tcp/ip protocol and in desparation I completely reformated the drive and did a fresh install of win2000. Still have the same problem.

I have also checked all the settings to ensure that DHCP is enabled, and that the win2000 pc automatically detecs settings, obtains IP addresses automatically, and Automatically detects DNS.

Is there some setting which needs to be changed that I have missed :confused:

Steve

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Hrm... I didn;t find specs on that modem in my quick search. I'll presume that its a newer modem that does pppoe and nat.

First try unplugging the power for the modem for 30 seconds. Then power the modem on, while its connected to your win2k box. (are you using ethernet to connect each computer to modem?) although I *hope* the techsupport guy already had you do this.

After the modem boots up, release/renew on your 2k machine. From a command prompt, run ipconfig. Ping both your IP address and your gateway address. Do both return replies? Ping google.com, does this return replies?

When you connect the computers for ICS, do you use ethernet?

3. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Or... if thats an older dsl modem... you may need a pppoe program like winpoet...

4. shadowhawk47

No ... the modem does not use pppoe. I have never had to install any software on the 98 PC to make it work. The modem apparantly "logs in" and I asume uses NAT to issue an IP to the win98 PC.

I have tried powercycling the modem while it was connected to the 2000 machine. No luck.

When I am connected to the win98 PC via ICS and then run ipconfig on the win2000 PC it gives me what I would expect fopr an IP address "192.168.0.1". I can release and renew this without any problems. However, when I connect the win2000 direct to the modem and run ipconfig I get 169.254.23.185 for an IP address. This IP will not release when I use the release command (I get something to the effect that the IP address is not DHCP and cannot be released ... I forget the exact error) and I get the DHCP server unreachable error when I try to renew.

I don't know where the 169 IP address is coming from ... I assume the modem is issuing this IP. I do know that when I check what IP the "internet" sees being reported using the win98 PC it begins with 142

I have had 4 techs including myself looking at this and they all say everything should work as is... obviously we are wrong... lol

5. shadowhawk47

I forgot to say ... yes I am using ethernet to connect.

6. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

the 169 ip is windows default "I can't find an IP" address....
    I think the 142 ip is your external ip (your dsl modem's ip from outside your house)
    when the win98 machine is connected only to the dslmodem (no ics) what ip/subnet/gateway/dns does it show? Try hardcoding these values to your 2k comp. Then connect 2k to dsl, and powercycle.

Also, maybee ICS is interfering with regular networking... Try disabling ics on your 2k box.

Its possible that your modem/dsl-provider does mac address checking (although, thats mostly on cable). This can sometimes be worked arround by disconecting the dsl modem from *everything* for a full minute, then reconnect it to the 2k box, phone and power. Although this fix is more geared to a cable connection.

Either the modem will use pppoe OR you NEED to install(ed) some pppoe software on the win98 box. check for the following programs on the 98 machine: winpoet, raspoe, enternet. They might show up in your dialup/net connections....

just found something....
    I did a little more looking for the ct-300, still didn't get docs on that specific one. But the CT-308 does NOT appear to have onboard pppoe. If the 300 is the same type (likely), then you will need a connection program for pppoe.

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i'm really confused as to what you really have.

ethernet is a given with the adsl connection.

you refer to ics with the 98 machine the base, it's gotta be on for ics to work on the 2000 machine.
    when you try to run the 2000 machine thru the modem, 2000 still thinks it's sharing the connection.

192.168.0.1 is the ip address for a linksys router, mine is 192.168.1.1 on my home machine but you haven't mentioned a router.

if you do have a router, eliminate the ics. :cool:

8. shadowhawk47

I did a "fresh install" of win2000. (no ICS) direct connect to modem. did not work.

According to my ISP tech support, my ADSL service does not require any PPPoE software to be installed on either the win98 box or the win2000 box. I am not sure how the modem hands out IP I can only assume NAT. You are correct ... the 142 IP is the "WAN" side of the modem.

ICS was never enabled on the win2000 PC. (like you have to do on win98 anyway)

No router, no firewall, no PPPoE .... and actually, the IP address when the win2000 pc is using the win98 PC as a server (ICS) is 192.168.0.2 the win98 PC is 192.168.0.1

I will try the hard coding of the IP addresses found on the win98 PC.

My goal is to be able to replace the win98 PC with the win2000 PC. The win 98 PC is on the way out.

9. shadowhawk47

I have the owners manual for the modem on PDF if you would like a copy ... let me know.

10. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

post it somewhere and post a link here....

11. shadowhawk47

ok .. I tried to static assign of the IP address found on the win98 box. This also did not work.

I am not sure what else to try.

12. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

in device mgr is the network card correct?
    i think you have a bad nic card/driver or pci slot.

2000pro id'd the 3com 3c905 during the 2000 install, installed the driver when it found new hardware, rj-45 was plugged in and was off and running after setting up internet/oe.

instructions for the modem, nothing came with mine, didn't need to be setup but it's provided by the isp and is replaced if it dies by the isp.

did you buy the modem or is it provided?
    not all modems are compatible with all systems, saving a buck or 2 can lead to a lot of aggravation.

my isp did the basic setup, insuring the best signal strength, then i plumbed in the router, using it's install cd.

13. shadowhawk47

The NIC is one of those on-board NIC... it is being recognized as 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible) I went to the Dell site and downloaded new drivers for it. Nothing changed. I can eliminate the NIC card from the equation because when it is connected to the win98 box I can connect to the internet fine. However, I want to remove the win 98 machine eventually and replace it with the Win2K box.

The modem is owned by the ISP.

I know the modem works and the connection works because I am using it to access the internet now. win2K box into the win98 box running ICS. (no router)

14. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

this is all magic, sorry i couldn't be of more help.

by my sig i do all of 'em but have never had an onboard nic.
    3com are some of the best cards around. the rest of the fleet has various linksys cards.

if you have an extra nic card, disable the onboard nic and try one or more pci slots, i've had bad pci slots.

good luck.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice