1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win2000 checkdisk doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by qwerty1, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qwerty1

qwerty1 Thread Starter

Hello there Could u please help me because
    when i run chdisk for errors in win 2000 by right clicking the hard drive icon and then clicking properties of c: harddrive, then tools
    tab, then click the check now button, and in the check disk options ticking "automatically fix file system errors" and clicking ok
    I get this message

"The disk check could not be performed because exclusive access to the drive could not be obtained. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer."

If i chose yes to that above it performs the diskcheck at reboot and when windows loads i go back to the checkdisk and i get the same problem again.

Does anybody have some ideas to help
    Thanks very much
    Gregory.

ps
    I thought it might have somthing to do with Administration rights
    because when i sign in the username is Administrator and not my name " Gregory". Just a guess Maybe it has nothing to do with it.

Thanks again.

2. mtbird

mtbird

3. krmayo

krmayo

Ok, what if I told my desktop computer to check drive d (C and D are hds, E and F are DVD drives) and I checked both boxes and agreed to do this the next time I boot....but now it will not boot?

It goes thru bios checks fine, shows the Windows Professional screen (XP), checks all my attached usb devices, checks the keyboard (all evidenced by the blinking leds), the screen goes blank, and the computer reboots. over and over ...

I tried putting my xp cd in to boot off it...nope.

booted of a floppy to an A: prompt...it doesnt show I have any other drives....I'm stuck.

C is an 80 gig that is mostly full and D is a 40 gig that is 90% full...I hopefully will not have to format these.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,

4. cybil

cybil

I have the same problem with check disk as Gregory. HOW do I run it at the boot--obvious novice here. In the dictionary my picture is next to frustrated.
    thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice